Swine flu vaccine

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Kath T

Swine flu vaccine

Post by Kath T »

Hi all

I believe the swine flu vaccine is out today. I had my flu jab yesterday and the nurse said it would be available to me in the next few weeks. I was wondering whether you guys will have it if offered?

Kath
Mike

Post by Mike »

its is being given to health care workers, seriously ill hospital in-patients and people with damaged immune systems first (that does not include us!)

After that:-

compromised immune systems

Pregnant women

Carers of people with compromised immune systems

Chronic health conditions

Not sure which order though

You will be contacted by your gp to be invited to come in for the jab and from what I have read today it is just one jab
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
xXx Holz xXx

Post by xXx Holz xXx »

I got a letter from my consultant saying that i should have it, will have to re-read it again to see if I contact them or they contact me!

Mus remember my seasonal flu-jab too!

Thanks for the reminder x
Holly Shaw

Please visit my blog: https://transplanttantrumsandtiaras.wordpress.com
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

Seems that it is better organised in the UK. I phoned the Public Health Office here yesterday and they don't even have any. There seem to be little pockets in Georgia that have got it, others haven't. then they are supposed to be giving it to the high risk categories first, but the way that it is distributed here, I'm not sure that this will happen.
Mike

Post by Mike »

xXx Holz xXx wrote:I got a letter from my consultant saying that i should have it, will have to re-read it again to see if I contact them or they contact me!

Mus remember my seasonal flu-jab too!

Thanks for the reminder x
Hi Holz

Thats what I understand will happen because unlike the flu jab where they have flu clinics and do everyone at the same time they are doing the highest risk ones first.

Probably best to speak to your gp as they should know what is happening.

We had our flu jabs done a couple of weeks ago.

Mike
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
Kath T

Post by Kath T »

Mike The swine flu vaccine does apply to some of us. I am a transplant patient who is nearing dialysis but still on immunosupressants and so will be offered the vaccine in a few weeks time. If you usually get a call for a flu jab, this should happen in exactly the same way.

My question is will you have it? I suppose I will. Might as well, would be a bummer if I deidn't and then got flu.

Kath
Mike

Post by Mike »

Kath T wrote:Mike The swine flu vaccine does apply to some of us. I am a transplant patient who is nearing dialysis but still on immunosupressants and so will be offered the vaccine in a few weeks time. If you usually get a call for a flu jab, this should happen in exactly the same way.

My question is will you have it? I suppose I will. Might as well, would be a bummer if I deidn't and then got flu.

Kath
I think you misunderstood what i put

Damaged immune system does not apply to immunosuppressed patients, it applies to cancer patients and people who immune system is damaged by disease.
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
smudge

Post by smudge »

My recipient was told by her GP that she would need the swine flu jab 'because of her immune system'. She also has asthma so has already always had the seasonal flu jab. She's checking with her consultant on Monday as she's got a clinic appointment so will let you know the verdict.

xx
Donated kidney to my best friend on 24th June 2009 at St Georges Hospital
johnsor

Post by johnsor »

My TX center recommended both H1N1 and seasonal flu jab. They also said not to take both at the same time. Wait a week or two between jabs. I was able to get one of the last seasonal doses in the area, but unable to get the H1N1.
Sue

Swine Flu

Post by Sue »

As a transplantee, I am having mine on Saturday. Its two injections, 3 weeks apart from what my GP has said. Will let you know how it goes.

Sue
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

My question is, will the vaccine stop any recurrences of H1N1? I've already had that, and it was diagnosed by swab tests, so for sure it wasn't ordinary flu (but to be honest was no worse or no better than ordinary flu). I'm back at transplant clinic a week tomorrow, and will ask them then, but have been in California for almost a month so understandably haven't given it much thought :)

Aileen
The half full glass or the half empty? it's a no-brainer! :)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000139507823
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi,
iv been getting the flu jab since my transplant in 2005 and its a great thing.Im getting the swine flu jab on the 2nd nov so ill keep yous all posted.
Brian :)
trigger

Post by trigger »

my hubby was told by his unit last week that it is up to him whether he has it or not as being immunosupressed made him likely to get anything anyway.
hubby had transplant 26.08.06
Brian

Post by Brian »

Yes it is up to each individual whether they have the swine flu jab or not and after some consideration iv decided to have it.
Brian :)
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I've put the question to my consultant:) Will let you know if/when I get an answer, should be a couple of weeks.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast