Swine flu vaccine

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Brian

Post by Brian »

Can i just clear somthing up here.Im getting the swine flu jab from my local GPs surgery and they are pushing it strongly {rightly so}.As a patient its my decision weather i want to have it as in any drugs but they will not ask you if you want it rather they will take it for granted.After taking advice from the practice nurse and listning to the Scottish Governments recomendations iv decided that its by far the best thing to do.Will keep you's posted.
Brian :)
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

I asked in clinic today and was told yes I should have one - he would be having his at some stage.

I asked about the timing difference between having the normal flu jab and the swine flu one (I only have my normal one mid Nov because I am having it at work) and he said to wait at least a couple of weeks.

I phoned my GP and they helpfully said letters would be going out in the next 3 - 4 weeks !!!!!
Chrisdialysis

Post by Chrisdialysis »

I have been offered Swine Flu Injection and i WILL be accepting it. :D
Angel

Post by Angel »

I have had my swine flu jab today. I wasn't sure whether to have it or not but I got a letter from my GP last week and when I rang them to check on a couple of things they told me they had enough vaccine for 500 people today only. My dialysis unit has said it is up to us if we have it but it is strongly recommended to do so. After talking to a couple of healthy people who have had suspected swine flu and being quite poorly with it I felt the risks were greater in not having it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

we've not heard anything yet but neither of us probably could have the shot at the moment as laura has a chest infection and I've had a cold and think i'm coming down with something else now as well.

I guess they will only give you the shot if you are well don't they?
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
Angel

Post by Angel »

I would imagine so Mike although no one actually asked if we were well-the only questions they asked were whether we had allergies to eggs or rubber. :? I always get asked about eggs for the seasonal flu jab but rubber is a new one on me?? I had a nasty cold a week ago but felt ok but had glands that were so huge they met up in my neck and a streaming nose, so wouldn't have had it done if it hadn't cleared. Our GP seems particularly hot on the vaccinations this year as we had the flu jab mid September.
laurajadedaniels

Post by laurajadedaniels »

I was told today at gp surgery doing babies and pregnant women first so be contacting us in a couple of weeks for ours and hopefully would have got rid of my chest infection by then fingers blooming crossed had it for over a week now :evil:
Laura

Facebook
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

New Scientist debunks some myths about Swine Flu - thought it may help some people to have a read.

I've got my Swine Flu jab this coming Monday and I will be taking it.
AmitChouhan

Post by AmitChouhan »

Both my Neph and GP called me today to advice I have it.. so going tomorrow..

Anyone experience any side effects with it yet?

All the best,
needtoknow

Post by needtoknow »

Any living donors out there had the swine flu vaccine? I got a call from my GP today to say I would be considered to be in the at risk category having donated a kidney last July.
I didn't expect to be in this category but was considering having the vaccination when it becomes available to the general population.
Now it seems I'm at the front of the queue! Not knocking it, great that they are on the ball but I'm wondering if I should be in this category?
Kidney donor to nephew July 17th University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire
Sue

Swine Flu

Post by Sue »

I had my vaccine on Saturday and no ill effects that I am aware of, sore arm but thats nothing to worry about. 2nd shot in 3 weeks.

I had the vaccine at my GP's surgery and was contacted today by my renal unit which is offering all kidney patients inc transplantees the vaccine with immediate effect.

Thought I would update users.

Sue
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

needtoknow wrote:Any living donors out there had the swine flu vaccine? I got a call from my GP today to say I would be considered to be in the at risk category having donated a kidney last July.
I didn't expect to be in this category but was considering having the vaccination when it becomes available to the general population.
Now it seems I'm at the front of the queue! Not knocking it, great that they are on the ball but I'm wondering if I should be in this category?
That doesn't sound right to me at all. Your kidney function is pretty much normal, otherwise you wouldn't have been allowed to donate in the first place, as one of the principles of medicine is to first do no harm, right?

I don't think you've anything to be concerned about - being a donor you shouldn't be at any greater risk from Swine Flu than the general population. Reckon your doctor may just have the wrong end of the stick.

Still, if it's on offer, and you want it, why not take advantage!
needtoknow

Post by needtoknow »

Yeah think I'll get the vaccine anyway. I have a busy job and three kids so can't really afford to be laid up with it. And as it seems to be worse on the kids I don't really want to pass it on to them. (If they don't get in school anyway!) i'm usually quite sceptical of mass vaccination programmes but I'm just not up to it this year :wink:
Kidney donor to nephew July 17th University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

getting mine this week :D
O

Post by O »

I'm having my swine flu vaccine today.

I came here today for the first time in a long while to see what people have been saying about the jab.

I'll post again to say how I'm doing after the jab in case people want to be reassured (and hopefully not warned...)