Abnormal cervical smears in transplantees

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Kath T

Post by Kath T »

Hi all

As far as I'm aware we are just like the rest of the population now and have a smear every three years. Thats what I have now anyway, when I was ifrst transplanted I had a coposcopy every year.

About 4 years after transplant I had treatment for a polyp. Had a colposcopy and laser treatment. If you prepare yourself, its fine. Take someone in with you to keep you distracted and its a brease. The colposcopy is a breeze not really any worse than a smear. Don't go alone though if you are nervous. I found I felt sick but it was just the thought of someone peering up my fufu.
I have been totally clear since then.
I can't say all will be fine because you just never know but I rekon the odds are in your favour regardless of your transplant.

Good luck
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

hello,

just a quick update

I had my colposcopy today and it looks as if I've been colonized by the HPV virus. They took a biopsy to confirm and sent it off- Results in a month- GAH! Something else to freak out about :(

Apparently most of the population have HPV and the body deals with it on its own, being immunosuppressed means I can't cope and the my infection is more florid than usual.

As I said earlier, ladies please make sure you get your smears done!!
Mother

Post by Mother »

I'm a bit late to this thread as I didn't see it before, and as you know I'm the carer of a kidney patient, not one myself.

But I wanted to reassure you as far as possible with my own story, which is that I had an abnormal smear, colposcopy and then laser treatment around 25 years ago. I went on to have 2 children and have had no further problems. I went for yearly smears initially and then every 3 years.

I realise that your drug regimes may make things a little different for you - but the treatment itself is nothing to worry about.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Can they give any treatment to fight this infection Jen? What is the next stage and is it different as you have had a transplant?
laurajadedaniels

Post by laurajadedaniels »

jenjen wrote:hello,

just a quick update

I had my colposcopy today and it looks as if I've been colonized by the HPV virus. They took a biopsy to confirm and sent it off- Results in a month- GAH! Something else to freak out about :(

Apparently most of the population have HPV and the body deals with it on its own, being immunosuppressed means I can't cope and the my infection is more florid than usual.

As I said earlier, ladies please make sure you get your smears done!!
Hiya Jen,

i just wanted to wish you luck for your results and hope everything turns out ok for you.
Laura

Facebook
Ruth H

Post by Ruth H »

thank you for this post - I had to have a colposcopy before my tpx but in the end all was ok. Think I will ask gp if I can try and get a smear each year-Yuk!
R