UK: Sunday Express article followup

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

BrendaM

UK: Sunday Express article followup

Post by BrendaM »

Hi Folks
well there was a follow up article, on page 50, and I don't think any of the info I or others provided was used but it doesn't really matter because in the last week, and due to the prominence of the front page article (and pages 2 and 3) about the twins last week over 21,000 people registered as organ donors in a week when the total in the UK for the whole of last year was about 10,500* (*figures according to the paper)

So the press can and do make a tremendous difference when they champion a good cause.

My advice to any of you asked to participate in such stories is to be frank with the journalist about what you do and do not want to appear in print. Be aware that they will want to wring the public's emotions as much as possible and so will focus on your problems and raw emotions, be prepared for this. They also have no time to learn in depth about the all the complicated issues involved before moving on to the next story so keep the facts short, concise and focus on a single message which you want to come across in the article.
By understanding this and working together you can, if you choose to do so, often bring about great good as in this case. So thanks to the Campbell family and the Sunday Express.
regards
BrendaM
Elaine

gr8 news Brenda organ donor register boosted

Post by Elaine »

Gr8 news Brenda and well done :D

Wonderful news to know that the organ donor register was boosted by tremendous amount last week after story about the twins from Wales. My daughter is also cared for by same Nephrologists as the twins and saw recently an news bulletin on HTV West explaining about the boys. It must be soo hard having 1 child requiring kidney transplant and continuous medical treatments dialysis etc.

Will keep lookout for any other articles of interest.

PS have u seen articles in BKPA Silver Lining from kids & Dr Nurses from Bristol ;)

best wishes Elaine ;)
BrendaM

Post by BrendaM »

[quote]PS have u seen articles in BKPA Silver Lining from kids & Dr Nurses from Bristol

No Elaine, I looked on the web site www.britishkidney-pa.co.uk web site but couldn't see what you referred to, or is it a newsletter?
regards
BrendaM[/quote]
Elaine

hiya Brenda ;)

Post by Elaine »

Hiya sorry shouldv said article in BKPA Silver Lining Appeal Brochure which we recieved in post 2day as we are members.

best wishes Elaine ;)
Hal

Post by Hal »

I agree Brenda, I thought the article was good even though it didn't seem to include anything directly about 'us'. Thank you for telling us about it.

I don't think the figures from the paper are correct about numbers on the reigster. According to UK transplant they are looking for 1 million new registrants between October 5th 2004 and October 4th 2005 (the 10th anniversary year of the organ donor register).

Already they have 250,000 in two months - hopefully they keep it going.

See: http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/default.jsp#

Regards,

Hal.