Is this the future?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Is this the future?

Post by JMan »

Is this the future of Renal Care & IT?

https://www.renalpatientview.org/

Looks good even in its trial form.. I for one would love to be able to log on & see check my results..

What do peeps think??

J
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Doolally

Post by Doolally »

That's certainly the way forward! Imagine getting your test results just like that - a dream come true!! It would be great when people are first diagnosed - I for one spent four years in a state of complete naivity.

Well designed site too.

Let's hope the ball is rolling at a reasonable speed!!
debbie

Post by debbie »

It looks very good, would be nice to have my information to hand when I want it. Hopefully it won't take too long, suppose next thing is to get our units to sign up!
Mike

Post by Mike »

thats great!

My unit has just had installed lots of expensive new computers so hopefully this will be next?
Mike

Post by Mike »

actually I've changed my mind...not sure it's such a great idea as when my Pt & Phos are too high I won't be able to claim i didn't know :wink:
LadySycamore

Post by LadySycamore »

Wow this is neat J. *thumbs up*

Wonder how we can get this here in the US...
Dialyze.org:
http://dialyze.org/forums/index.php
Chatroom, Support, Advocacy and more!

Dialyze.org MemberGroup on MSN:
http://groups.msn.com/Dialyze-orgMember ... sages.msnw
R30

Online test results

Post by R30 »

Hi JMan

That looks great - and about time. I have to travel a hundred mile round trip to get my test results so this should save me a lot of time, effort and money, if Southmead are interested. I have my next appt. on Monday so will present this to my Cons. to see what he thinks.

Would be great if those who can use this system (when it goes live) could keep us all updated with their opinions of the site and info available. I am assuming that ones own information will be confidential i.e. it won't be available to everyone that logs on......?

BTW Happy Christmas to you. Doing anything nice/exciting/wild? (If it's wild, let me know - I may just join you!) :twisted:

Ruth
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Yes the idea is that the info is shared between 'you & your team' and that you have a record of correspondence etc.. I too may take it into my unit at my next appt and I've already passed it onto our pre-dx nurse and renal counselor (this being a leaflet that the Renal Information Exchange group has produced)

Just interested to see what a wider, 'web using' renal audience thinks of it. I'm sure the developers would value our comments as 'end users'. KPG seemed an ideal place being so well used as it is :D

@ Xmas

Hopefully, higher forces willing, I'll be on a beach in N Wales, near Porthmadog :D http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/uce/c4y?v ... rtyTypeId=

(Mad I know but my bro is into doing this sorta thing :)

http://www.flexifoil.com/community/gall ... ion=images

Nutter.. I may be having a go on the buggy, if not just doing a little light static kiting..:) So whether thats wild or no.. well lol..

There's a small chance we may have room in the house we have as well.. that all depends on a certain small person though :)

Now in January there's a party, but thats another tale 8)

Hehe
Last edited by JMan on Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hello!

It does look very interesting. I've been in touch with one of the people on the team for Renal PatientView since I saw their stand at the NKF conference.

Its quite similar to the final year project and dissertiation I am doing at University, although the idea is that the system I am developing will be able to be a bit more intelligent e.g. your latest blood results indicate you have a high potassium, so information will be provided on how to reduce this. (although the system is only for research purposes at this stage)

I understand the system is only being trialed in 6 units at the moment. It works with the PROTON system most UK renal units use to extract blood test data etc.

About time some information was given to the patients,

Hal.
Bruce

Is this the future?

Post by Bruce »

This sounds great. I don't know of anything like it in the US. My blood work comes back to my unit via computer link from the lab, but my PD nurse says there is no way for me to access it. She gives me a printout at my monthly visit. The printout lists each of my levels along with the norms for that level and canned words of encouragement if the levels are OK. I have to keep all of these printouts in order to be able to compare them from month to month. --Bruce
George

Post by George »

looks interesting and it seems Leeds St James in in the trials...but I use Leeds G.I. although I am sure it will come under the Leeds & Bradford hospital trust. I will make enquiries in the morning.
Elaine

New comp system

Post by Elaine »

Read the articles etc wot a gr8 idea to give renal patients some informed choice, autonomy independance/ involvement in their own renal health matters ir blood results etc. Sooo frustrating speaking to answer machines or nurses Drs that are just too 'busy' to give out blood results. Like waiting for bingo to be called!!!!!!!!!! LOL :shock: :shock:

Did briefley discuss with our unit the advantages of this service etc who knows may happen 1 day at our unit - fingers crossed. Gotta be a way forward for The NHS.

best wishes Elaine UK ;)