URGENT UK only: news story planned re opt-in donors-info

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

BrendaM

URGENT UK only: news story planned re opt-in donors-info

Post by BrendaM »

URGENT
Hi Folks Tues 7.45pm
Re the story in the Sunday Express last week (5th) I have been in contact with the journalist who is willing and KEEN to do a follow up story but needs case histories to quote, preferably concerning children needing new organs (sorry but that grabs the public's attention best) but also families affected (Mike/ Bournemouth?)
I am speaking to her at 9am tomorrow (Thurs 9th) and would appreciate ANYONE UK based who will givew me permission to give her your telephone number to take your story and try to generate publicity for awareness about the need for donors. Deadline is tomorrow (thurs)
This is what we all want in the UK, ie increased awareness, more donors
PLEASE help urgently by sending me an email privately with your contact telephone number if you would help publicize our case by being interviewed.
Hal - you have tremendous background knowledge would you also speak with her?
I am giving our family background (2 children affected)
URGENT
regards
BrendaM
amanda in CA

story re. opt out

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, Brenda, if the journalist is interested in a slightly different slant too (maybe a follow-up) maybe he would like to talk to my transplant donor's mum. My kidney doesn't work anymore but she and I are still in contact and I know that she has strong views on transplantation. Amanda
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Brenda,

I have PM'd you.

Regards,

Hal.
BrendaM

UK press story re opt-in donors

Post by BrendaM »

It is Wed night not Tues of course, sorry to confuse anyone
thanks for the replies already, I will report back if we can bring this story together in time.
regards
BrendaM
Elaine

transplants required in news

Post by Elaine »

Hiya seen u posts etc. Yeh we attend same unit too as the twins who where in news my hear goes out to them.

We have had mixed experiences from the press etc. I know they try to promote organ donors etc and do lots to promote etc.

However 'sometimes' u have to be careful too about gettin facts right and sometimes insensative expression although maybe not intentionally to upset the family but has happened. Also old photos are often used from archives which happen to us. My daughter was quite upset as she had lots hair loss at time but had grown back since, but they just pulled forward old photos which made her more anxious and feeling upset seeing herself lookin soo ill from a year previously.

The press however did have respect for us when goin through very difficuilt time when we didnt want to divulge info at the time about her condition etc, as it was too upsetting to want to be in newspaper.

Good luck to u all and we do encourage organ donation my daughter did a poster and info for school etc to assist in organ donation etc.

best wishes Elaine ;)
debbie

Womans own

Post by debbie »

I have been approached to do an article with Womans own magazine about transplants and how they affect woman and their families. Apparently it will be done after Christmas, not really my sort of thing but if it raises awareness then I feel I should do it, also the local paper is doing an article just before Christmas about the difference I will find between last years Christmas on Hd and this year now I have the kidney.
BrendaM

Post by BrendaM »

Sat morning update
Many thanks to all of you who contacted me privately and agreed to talk to the journalist. I spent several hours collating notes, tel numbers, stories etc on Thurs and hope she contacted some of you.

I completely understand if you hadn't wanted to speak out - I gave our family's story but had to make it anonymouse since my two have been protected from the knowledge of what might (or might not please God) happen to them in the future and would be devasted to have this thrust upon them.

Since then I have been unable to contact the journalist and do not know how much /or even if the story is running tomorrow. Working in the media myself, I know how it works, and a more powerful human interest story could come along at any time to displace a followup story but I say thanks to the Express for highlighting the UK donor issue so prominently last week and I will keep asking them to run a followup at some stage if not tomorrow. The press can be a powerful ally in supporting causes as long as you know the rules and potential pitfalls of their trade.
regards
BrendaM
Elaine

hiya ;)

Post by Elaine »

Good luck Brenda promoting plight of organ donors etc. Have pm you ;)

Will keep look out for any articles best wishes Elaine ;) :D
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Brenda et al,

The journalist called me on Thursday and I gave her some info over the phone

I then sent her some information via email and left a phone message with some extra people I thought she'd want to speak to (she asked for interesting stories about organ donation) ...... but no response.

Will buy the paper anyway to see if something is printed.

Hal.
Andy

Post by Andy »

hi all
what paper ia it going to be in?
Cheers
Andy
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk