UK newspapers Lead Story re Kidneys / organ donation

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

BrendaM

UK newspapers Lead Story re Kidneys / organ donation

Post by BrendaM »

Hi Folks
I was expecting to see some reaction here today about the lead item on front of UK's Sunday Express paper of yesterday about a family in Wiltshire with twin boys with kidney disease and both deperately needing a transplant. Mum could donate a kidney ..... but to which one?
I stood in supermarket crying my eyes out (and doing so now), we share the same consultant and I also have two young teens with different kidney diseases but thank God mine are relatively well and I dont have her dilemma..... yet
Story was about the lack of donated organs in the UK, the misery caused to thousands of patients and the proposed opt-in organ donor scheme which is defeated time after time, most recently earlier this year.
I just hope the prominence of the story once again raises the debate and interest level to eventually bring the Uk in line with the policies of more enlightened countries.
regards
BrendaM
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi brenda,

I didn't see the article but I too hope that something comes of it. My family pretty much all have kidney problems! My brother and I are on dialysis, my sister and dad are thankfully stable but both have fjhn. My mum is the only one with 'normal' function and no kidney disease but she isn't compatible with either my brother or me anyway.

Hope your two continue to stay well and you dont have to get to that dilemma

mike