dry hands

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Mike

dry hands

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times before before what the hell I'm asking it again.

I have been using a hand cream as I am suffering quite badly from very dry hands due to the Hibisol hand rub stuff. I've notr found it to be that effective and it is driving me nuts! Can anyone recommend anything whihc may be more effective?

any help would be appreciated

Mike :D
Andy

Post by Andy »

how about using a hand cream as well as the hibisol, like after you have done your exchange, during the day.
Nivea, is great!!
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
Rik

Post by Rik »

dont know if you have tried Nivea
but I used to apply it to my fistula when I was using it before my Tx and it kept my hands moist too ...

also ... as a fisherman ... I have used Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream ... which kept my hands from drying out on a cold winters night on the beach ... but made ones sandwiches taste awful if you hadnt rubbed it in properly and fancied a nibble!!!!!
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Used vaseline 'Intensive Care' Hand n Body Lotion.. I didn't find it too bad and its 'light' and not greasy..

I asked my dermatologist about dry skin and thats what she recommended (strangely all the dermatologists except one are women at our hospital.. ?? any ideas why ;) ) pointing out that vaseline actually seals IN moisture.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
amanda in CA

dry hands

Post by amanda in CA »

I too had this problem. I must admit that I no longer use any type of handrub for this reason. Obviously I wouldn't connect up having just been to the bathroom without washing my hands but otherwise I simply don't bother. The rationale behind this is that bacteria don't have wings or big hopping legs, so the only way that they can be transferred is through direct hand contact. However, since the connection technique is such that you don't touch any of the connection parts, to my mind, there should be no problem. If contact is made with the connection parts, it is deemed contaminated and then the line is changed anyway regardless of whether a handrub has been used or not. I have been on APD now for nearly two years and have had no episodes of peritonitis or exit site infections, so my reasoning can't be too far off. Amanda
Mike

Post by Mike »

thanks to you all I give some of those a try.

Amanda what you said is pretty much my reasoning on the subject as I had thought about not using it but when I am at work I have to wash my hands in a different room to the one I do the exchange in so after washing my hands with hibiscrub I have to touch things (i.e. door handles) to get back into the other room so I always use the hibisol there but at home I have a sink in the room I do my exchange and I can't see how I need to use the hibisol as well? I have had one exit site infection but that was I think bad luck as it was jsut after the operation and it hadn't healed properly at that stage and I think it got infected via the shower?

anyway I am going to try some different hand creams and see if it is any better.

thanks very much

mike
LadySycamore

Post by LadySycamore »

Hello Mike.

Don't know if this is available where you are, but I use Aveeno Products. I have found my skin has become unbearably dry (and I'm not looking forward to the upcoming winter season!). But, I use the bath oil and lotion, and that seems to make things a bit better.

Good luck.
Dialyze.org:
http://dialyze.org/forums/index.php
Chatroom, Support, Advocacy and more!

Dialyze.org MemberGroup on MSN:
http://groups.msn.com/Dialyze-orgMember ... sages.msnw