Cold sore cream/zovirax

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

lauraf812

Cold sore cream/zovirax

Post by lauraf812 »

Hi,

has anyone used zovirax or any other cold sore treatments after having a transplant?

I'm starting to get my first cold sore since my transplant last May. I understand they can be quite common when ur immune system is low but I just bought zovirax and it says on the box 'Consult your dr or pharmacist before using if you know that your immune system is weakened'. Its the only warning on the box.

I bought it in the supermarket so i didnt get to speak to a pharmacist but I'll be able to check tomo. I just wondered if anyone else knew if it was safe to use? id prefer to use it tonight and catch it at the tingly stage!
Thanks Laura xx :D
squiggles

Post by squiggles »

I was prescribed this by my GP about 8 or 9 days before transplant,i was on dialysis at the time but was put on MMF for 14 days before the operation due to my antibodies,then switched to myfortic as it gave me the runs,the MMF caused the cold sores.

I have since used it,just last week actually and it never crossed my mind that i may not be able to.Sorry that wasnt much use to your question lol