My dad had a tranplant....help, questions!!!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Marziac

My dad had a tranplant....help, questions!!!

Post by Marziac »

Hi,
i posted here a couple of times about my dad who had been on HD for a few months until he got called for a transplant about 9 days ago. The recovery seems to have lots of ups and downs but the most worrysome thing is that so far his kidney isn't filtering toxins, just water so he's still doing dialysis. The doctors say it's normal and to be patient but he's afraid this whole thing isn't working out and getting discouraged. Any words of wisdom? My dad is 63, the (cadaver) donor was 68 and the kidney was healthy -- in fact the person who received the other kidney from the same donor ( a woman) is doing better and her kidney started functioning a couple of days ago. The surgeon said older kidneys take longer but it would seem to me it should have started working by now.....
Is there still hope for my dad? he has no energy and is felling very depressed.
Thanks a lot

Marzia
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Hi there.

Sometimes it can take a while to kick in (the kidney). Just because it doesn't work straight away, doesn't mean it will never work. I assume the doctors haven't told your Dad that there is any rejection occuring. It can take time, and you have to remember, that the kidney has been out of the body for one, and for another, there are a lot of toxins to filter out whilst the kidney is trying to kick in.

Hang in there both of you. Some things take a little bit of time. I knew someone at Guys Hospital (London) who's kidney took 5 weeks to kick in, so it can vary. Mine started straight away so I'm thankful that it did.

Hope this helps.

Steve
~I close my eyes, and This Is Yesterday~
My Band myspace!
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

Hi, There always hope.
A chap I know had a transplant and his kidney did not work for a month!
The medics said that the kidney sometimes goes to sleep and needs time to `wake up`.

PS When I go to the transplant clinic I give a lift to another person who had a transplant at 83.

Good Luck!
Jim
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Can take a week, or even a couple of months..

RARELY they don't pick up at all but transplants don't come with a garuantee..

Don't be discouraged though. 9 Days is no time at all:D

Congratulations and Good Luck to your dad and you..

The drugs can make you feel rough at first but it does get better..
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
pamom2

Post by pamom2 »

Hi! Tell your Dad to hang in there. I just had my transplant 2 weeks ago and it is now starting to "kick" in. I too was like your Dad thinking that it wasn't going to work and started to give up and lose hope but I'm living proof. My transplant team called me today and told me that my blood work was stable and things are looking good. I know it's so hard but tell him to be patient. There are stronger drugs that can help kick it in. Good Luck!
Marziac

Post by Marziac »

Thank you all so much for your encoraging words. Just reading your posts made me feel better.
Do you happen to know the name of the drugs that can help the kidney "kick in"? My dad is in Italy and I know most of you guys are in the UK so European drugs often have the same name

Thanks again

Marzia
pamom2

Post by pamom2 »

I had to have 3 IV doses of solumedrol(sp?), which I understand is a strong steroid. I had my last dose on Saturday and by Monday my creatine was going down. Hope this helps!
R30

Post by R30 »

I had my transplant a month ago today. A chap in the unit had had his just four days before and it took 3 weeks for his to start working. Even now, it's not working at full stretch, but his bloods are slowly coming down.

Tell your dad to hang in there - it is a waiting game at this stage - for all of us.

Let us know how he gets on.

Ruth
Pam

Post by Pam »

Hi...
I had my kidney tx 27 years ago...it did not begin to work right away either and I was on dialysis for a few days. Finally the doctor went in and removed the cortex covering the kidney and it began to work immediately.
Tell your dad not to worry too much-like everyone else has said, sometimes it takes awhile for the kidney to start. Just remember that the kidney has been traumatized somewhat what with being taken out of one person and put into another- not to mention being handled by the people who transport it and then by the surgeons, etc.
It is an anxious time, but be patient. I know it's hard to do when you have been waiting for this new way of life and then it doesn't happen right away! I will be praying for your dad...
-Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Hal

Post by Hal »

Although obviously I won't hope for a kidney not to work straight away for myself or anyone, its actually apparently true for cadaveric kidneys that if the kidney is "sleeping" for a while before it starts working, then it tends to last longer!

I thought this was a myth but I asked my transplant surgeon at an appointment and he said it is true.

I hope it starts up soon,

Hal.