Life after tx

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

R30

Life after tx

Post by R30 »

I have just been reading the new copy of Kidney Life Magazine (a UK based charity magazine), and read an article about a chap who has been told that he can no longer do the gardening now he has had a tx. I asked my Consultant about this yesterday in clinic and he confirmed this, unless I wear gloves.
Is there anything else I need to be cautious of as I haven't been given any info. on this? Unfortunately I work in a school so will unable to avoid the bugs that go round.
Dr said that it would be risky if I was to do work-experience down a sewer!
Any help anyone can give would be appreciated. I do feel that I've missed out on quite a bit of important information since leaving hospital that should have been given before my discharge.
Ruth
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Its not the greatest of written articles (its a letter in fact).

The main risk comes from soil born bacteria, such as those found in animal faeces and other soil born bacteria. This is a particular problem if you use say, horse manure on your roses, or have cats that 'visit' your garden.

I've asked my docs about this on numerous occasions and not really been given guidance other than 'commonsense advice', wear protective clothing, use an antibacterial hand wash etc.. THe sort of things that are becoming commonplace in any Horticultural working environment that has public visitors (educational establishments/city farms etc)

Anyone is in fact at risk but because we are immune suppressed we are more highly at risk.

As a horticulturalist I certainly wear protective clothing (gloves, overalls etc) if handling say manures (who in their right mind wouldn't?) but for pastuerised potting compost..? Not necessary (just IMO) if its stored correctly.

Of course be extra careful of any cuts/abrasions etc as this is where bugs can get in.. Good set of gloves (the 'town & country' leather once have enough tactile sensation to allow you to do most stuff, and if you are REALLY wary stick a set of latex dispsables underneath (I don't)).

You might point out to your doc that its risky for ANYONE down as sewer!! (honestly.. I sometimes wonder what planet these docs live on!!)

In short. Be sensible.. Enjoy your transplant and gardening :D

HTH

J
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Rik

Post by Rik »

hmm?? ... no one told me!!!! ....
so me being a contestant in the Dorset All Comers Cow Pat Catching Championships wasnt the best of ideas during my convalesence after my Tx then?? ...
should I be handing my Runners-Up Cup back then?? :(
R30

Post by R30 »

I think you should hand it back ... together with Hair No. 4 which clearly didn't belong to you.
:lol:
Ruth
Rik

Post by Rik »

and the stylish stand I lovingly moulded for it out of the cow pat that got me the cup??!!!!

Jeez Ruth!!!! your a HARD woman!!!!!!!!
Gil

Post by Gil »

Hi Ruth,

Here is the list I received:

Avoid close contact with young children who received LIVE virus immunization or anyone with respiratory infection or flu.
Stay away from people who are obviously sick.
Get into the habit of washing your hand frequently.
Try to avoid crowded areas, such as theaters, airports, and public transportation - at least for a few months.
Do not, under any circumstances, change kitty litter boxes or bird cages; they can be major sources of infection.
Do not garden, dig in dirt, or mow the lawn until you have permission from the Transplant Team.
Avoid wood-work.
Prednisone and other medications can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight - so avoid extended exposure to the sun and wear a sunscreen with high sun protection factor ( at least SPF 15) when you are outside.
Avoid lifting heave objects and performing heavy physical labor until you have the Transplant Team's permission (at least 6 to 10 weeks after your discharge).
Don't do push-ups or sit-ups, and avoid contact sports or other activities that may put pressure on your incision.
Don't eat grapefruits.
Don't take herbal supplements, especially St. John's wort.

HTH,
Gil[/list]
Bill

Post by Bill »

No one told me any of this stuff, but I like Gil's list. It makes a lot sense at least for the first few months.

Bill
R30

Post by R30 »

Thanks for the info. Gil - that does make a lot of sense. As I work in a school, it is going to be hard for me to avoid contact with the students that have colds etc., but I'm thinking of putting bars across my office door just to make sure ..... (only joking) :twisted:

Rik, Hair No. 4 and I have become good friends - especially since it appeared above my top lip. Well, well, well - two transplants in a month! Can anyone beat that :?: :!: I may well shave my moustache in your honour... :shock:

Ruth

P.S. Was thinking of doing the chin stubble too - what do you think?
Nikki

Live life to the full!

Post by Nikki »

:D Hi all, hope everyones well?
I've read the list and realised I do a few of the things on it!
I agree that its all commen sence and that we have to be careful to a certain extent but don't let that stop you from doing what you want in life......
I've had my Tx for 7yrs, I'm a dance teacher (so work with children as young as 2yrs old everyday and dance everyday-leap in the air, exersize and tone my muscles, roll around on the floor etc! and went straight back to dancing after my Tx-its my passion and what kept me alive and made me recover quicker) I also worked for Tumble Tots for 6yrs (ie: lifting big ladders and tressles and A-frames and setting them up for the kids to climb over) I now attend a gym twice a week too and although its a challenge and sometimes I don't feel like going it keeps me fit and helps keep the weight off.
I look around the gym or the stage after doing a 9 min dance routine and realise eveyone else is as puffed out as me and it makes me feel back to normal and no different to anyone else!
I think as long as we all use our commen sense and know when to stop-know our own limits we should live our lives with our Tx's to the full and do what makes us happy!
Enough of my preaching! keep well everyone! :wink:
Bill

Post by Bill »

Nikki:

Sure I think 7 years out you should do what you want. The only think on the list I think you should do it the sunscreen thing (I learned that the HARD way). I was thinking more for the first few months, and they drop your meds and your body builds up strenght I'd be less worried about getting a cold.

I'm 31 years out and in my house (2 adults and 1 child) I get sick the least. I only missed one day of work this year (fell of my bike). I don't get a flu shot and have only got the flu once (about 20 years ago). I may get 1 cold a year.

Having said all that I do do my best to stay as physically fit as possible as well as eating well. I think after a few months or maybe a year or so after your transplant following what any healthy person would do should be fine. I do however, avoid heavy contact sports, always have.

But please remember I'm not a doctor, so do what ever thay tell you. I do (at least 90% of the time)

Bill
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

Blimey, the list has took me by surprise.

I`m two years post transplant I was only ever told to be careful for the first six weeks or so. In fact my doc told me that I had the immune system of a pregnant women (he is a card)

Anyway, I dont worry too much about these things, or perhaps that should be I did`nt worry too much...
Jim
Pam

Post by Pam »

I've had my tx 27 years and like Bill, am usually the one person in my family who doesn't get sick! I have worked with kids most of my life and really never got awfully ill. The one time I did (with chicken pox) it was my own sister who gave it to me! :roll: She was on dialysis at the time and working in a chiropractor's office-SHE caught it from an elderly man who had shingles. I spent a week in the hospital with that little incident.
I always carry a bottle of that antibacterial gel hand cleaner in my purse to use if can't wash my hands...I also wash very thoroughly after shopping or going out in public. Opening doors and touching those shopping carts can transfer germs that you don't need.
Your system will get stronger when the meds are reduced and you have had your tx awhile, but you will always will have less immunity than the general public. I know it concerns you though...now, if people would only have the common sense to stay home when they are ill and cover their faces when they cough or sneeze! :roll: It would save us a lot of trouble and worry! :wink:
Take care...
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Nikki

Life after Tx

Post by Nikki »

Yeah, I completely agre with you both Bill and Pam! It took me a good few years to get stable and settled with lots of hic ups along the way and I always listen to the doctors! Pam, thats a good idea about carrying some hand gel-never thought of that (although it does make me feel ill as the smell reminds me of dialysis!) And-yeah, people are very inconsiderate when they're ill aren't they?!
Well, I hope my kidney lasts as long as yours-congrats!
Stay well and enjoy life! Lotsa love to all. xx :D
Pam

Post by Pam »

Hi Nikki!
Thank you for the kind words...how long have you had your transplant?
About the antibacterial gel, you can get it scented...I have some that has a lemon fragrance. You still have a little of that "hospital" odor, but not nearly as strong and it goes away after the gel dries on your hands. I can relate about the smell making you ill...some odors remind me of dialysis, too and kind of make me queasy.
Take care!
Pam :wink:
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Nikki

Tips!

Post by Nikki »

:D Hi Pam!
I've been transplanted for 7yrs now, its my dads kidney, I'm v stable but have nightmares about going back on dialysis!
So, where can I get this gel from? Since reading your post I think more about washing my hands, I guess I'm in ore of you guys who've had your kidneys for so long! Any tips for a long TX life?!

Lotsa love. x