Life after tx

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Nikki et al,

You should be able to find the gel in chemists I believe, its known as Sanitizer often (or even the supermarket). The main make is Purrell but I'm sure the generic makes are just as good.

I am given larger bottles with a pump dispenser by Baxter for use for washing hands in setting up my dialysis machine and before connecting, but I've also got a little bottle which you could put in your handbag or pocket.

You could also buy it online:
http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/product ... -59ml.html

Hal.
Pam

Post by Pam »

Hi Nikki!
So glad you have had seven years of "freedom"! I know what you mean about dialysis...! :x
I got the gel at a dollar store, but you can get it almost anywhere...like pharmacies, grocery stores, etc. here in the States...not sure about places in the UK...if you look, you can probably find it where the soaps are at. Lots of places here in the US are putting it out front in the aisles because of the flu vaccine shortage-it IS a good way to prevent germs from entering your system.
As for tips about keeping your tx a long time, I have found that a very important thing to do is not to worry and to treasure each day you have with it. Practically speaking, keep all your doctor's app'ts and take your meds everyday-of course, this all is obvious, isn't it? :wink: I have always gotten a flu shot (we all can't be invincible like Bill, can we? :wink: ) and a couple of years ago got a pneumonia vaccine also...I was having some bouts with it for a few winters. I think that all tx patients should get one as we are more susceptible to respiratory infections. I was told the vaccine lasts for 5 yrs. Drinking a lot of water (if you aren't restricted) is important as is staying away from high protein diets!
For myself, prayer and my relationship with God are very important, but I understand that not everyone feels that way. I think it has helped me a lot to know that He is always there-especially when I am going through a hard time. I really don't know too much more that will help you keep your kidney a long time, but in the Quarter Century Club (a group of us who have had our tx for 25 yrs or more) we would like for doctors to do some kind of study to try and find out why ours have lasted so long...someone in the Club has suggested that Diet Coke might be one of the reasons (sorry Rachel-I like Pepsi better too!) but that is still under investigation! :wink: :lol:
Take care of yourself and enjoy your life with your kidney...that is one of the best pieces of advice I know...!
Love,
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Doolally

Post by Doolally »

I haven't had a transplant, but I'm on immunosuppression etc. so the same issues about staying germ-free apply. I've found this thread really useful.

Something I always do is try to breath through my nose as much as possible when I'm in public places. Germs have a harder time getting through our noses than our mouths. So if I walk past a kid who's coughing and spluttering I immediately close my mouth! Quite amusing if I'm in the middle of talking to someone!!

Ali
Nikki

Thanks all!

Post by Nikki »

:D Hi everyone, thanks for your posts you guys!
Will look for the gel next time in supermarket, think I was so glad to see back of it after dialysis that I never really thought about using it to help me anymore, it makes sence thought!
I've had pnuemonia too (or however you spell it!) but my consultant said not to bother with the flu jab now that I've had my Tx.
Yeah, I'm a great believer in god/the after life/something else out there! I still get very down sometimes, my 22yr old cousin who I was close to got killed in sept and I went through the whole thinking it should've been me feeling. This xmas is going to be very hard, I was dumped by man of dreams at beginning of year too so its been a horrible year, which is why I'm glad I'm appearing in panto, that'll keep my spirits up and keep my mind off things! Everytime I get down I tell myself to pull myself together and remind myself how lucky I am, I have a kidney and there are hundreds and thousands of people who don't.
I try the breathing through your nose trick too! Guess you just have to think-oh well, if I'm going to get something then I'm going to get it and just fight it off as best you can! I'm definatly getting ill less often the older my Tx gets, you get stronger and almost forget what its like to be different, but the fear of going back to dialysis and all the hell, pain and feeling ill that goes with it never goes away does it? That'd be great if they could do some research into long lasting Tx's wouldn't it? I can't ever imagine mine lasting that long-hope it does!! I'm looking forward to starting afresh in 2005 and in the meantime I can feel better knowing that the people on this board know how I feel and go through the same as me-you guys are a great support, hope I can be as supportive to you all in return! :D xxxx
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Q for Hal...

whats the ingredient in Purrell.. I've looked for it in several supermarkets with no success.. Found some gel in SuperDrug :) at 99p per 100ml tube (still seems v expensive to me) , but no larger bottles, the main ingredient is alcohol & water. It also bears the label 'kills 99% of germs within 15 seconds'.

Cheers
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

The main ingredient in purell is alcahol ;) Yeps. Its basically a gelled alcahol. They come in all sorts of brands, colors, scents, styles, etc. A bit of green coloring and dab of aloe, and its called "Moisture Formula". A bit of pink coloring and a dab of berry scent and its "Kids BerryLicious Formula". etc. You get the point. A squeesze of Vitamin E in it, and its 'ultra'. WOW! And people pay more for these specialties. Any way you look at it, it'll dry you out, bc its alcahol.

From drugstore.com...

Active Ingredients: Ethyl Alcohol (62%)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isopropyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Carbomer, Fragrance, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Propylene Glycol, Isopropyl Myristate, Tocopheryl Acetate, FD&C Yellow 5, FD&C Blue 1
(note that this was for some extra moisture formula bcuz it had the aloe and green coloring )

While purell was the original company making this stuff, you can now get it all over. Drugstore brands such as CVS, Walgreens, Eckerds, etc. No frills brands, Supermarket brands like Pathmark, Shoprite, Kirkland, etc - and even no-name brands like "hand sanitizer". No name brands tend to be clear, without coloring, and lemon fragrance or no fragrance.

If you don't see it in any stores, check Costco. I believe there is a costco in the UK. They might have something like it. Just look for a bottle of delicious looking gel, and it should say "hand sanitizer", or anything similar.

Good luck.
Last edited by Rachel in NY on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."
Hal

Post by Hal »

Ingredients are: Alcohol Denat. 62% (Denat maybe French?) , Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Isopropyl, Myistate, Propylene Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aminomethyl Propanol, Carbomer.

The UK distributor is Gojo Tel: 01908 370757, so they might be able to help you find it.

Your stuff sounds similar anyway.

I have the 350ml pump bottle. Appears to be available online in the UK here:

http://www.medisave.co.uk/product_info. ... ts_id/4262 (£3.95 exc VAT)

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/product ... 350ml.html
(£6.80 inc VAT)

http://www.gompels.co.uk/product_info.p ... 59fde71688
(£4.00 exc VAT)

Not that cheap, but it should last ages. You don't want to usei t too much as it dries out your hands.

Hal.
amanda in CA

hand sanitiser

Post by amanda in CA »

I agree with others that hand sanitisers dry the skin out. If this is to the extent that the skin becomes sore, then it may be better not to use it, cos then you're putting yourself at getting infection in through the damaged skin. Amanda
JMan

Post by JMan »

thanks for the info folks. actually even own brands seem hard to get here.. so far Superdrug is the only one I've tried with success. Wilko's, Tesco & Morrison, (all supermarkets/ chains..) no joy. Will keep on researching, and keep away from naked flames
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (muahahahahaha)
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Live to Fly
Rik

Post by Rik »

sho ... Jimmmmmmm ma mate(hic) ... A've bin (hic) chicken out these drink thingys in a tube like you shugjsted ...(hic) ... taste bloody awfool mate I tel ya (hic) ... but dat berrylicius one ... mate ... that berrylicious one taks sum beeting onisht ... (hic) ... yur ma best mate yu R Jim ... (hic) ... sho ... who's round is it?? ... I av anuver berry thingys fanks ... (hic)
R30

Post by R30 »

Dear Rik

You're mad :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Ruth :D
JMan

Post by JMan »

Moves Rik AWAY from the open fire...
:D:D

J THis was a serious thread.. once.............
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Live to Fly
Vikki

Post by Vikki »

HI, I am brand new to this web-site, but I am not new to transplantation - I have already had a heart and lungs transplant 14 years ago so I am VERY familiar with all things immuno-suppressed!! Basically, use your commonsense. Your body picks up infection more easily and can't fight it off very well once it has got an infection. So, get a flu jab, if you get a bug, don't wait and see, go straight to the doctor and nag him til you get something! Wash your hands with antibac stuff etc. Avoid people with bugs. As for gardening, as I said, I had a heart/lungs transplant as a child and I was never told to worry abotu that and I'm immuno-suppressed heavily! Avoid raw fish and pate and rare meat (steak at a medium) just dont take any extra infection risks. Hope my experience is useful to you.
Even with your eyes closed, may you see the light at the end of the tunnel