What cold remedies are safe?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

casper2008

What cold remedies are safe?

Post by casper2008 »

Hi all

Just my luck, I have woken up with a sore throat and a cold.

Does anyone know if it is safe to take lemsip for a cold when you have kidney problems?

Many Thanks
Casper2008
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I was going to ask the same thing. I have taken it in the past. I've never got a straight answer from the unit.

Bar that, fresh ginger, lemon & honey is quite nice.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

I've taken it before-- my theory is is that if it was really that bad for us then you wouldn't be able to buy it off the shelf at any supermarket/corner shop

All stuff like lemsip/cough syrup have all the same warnings on: consult the doc if you are preganent or have liver/kidney disease as it covers their backs.

The main thing to remember is that kidney people can take paracetemol based products but not ibuprofen. So... no nurofen based lemsip but you can take lemsip with paracetemol

j
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

jenjen wrote:The main thing to remember is that kidney people can take paracetemol based products but not ibuprofen. So... no nurofen based lemsip but you can take lemsip with paracetemol
^^^ this

Personally I save my money from buying brand name remedies and stick to paracetamol and hot toddies (lemon, ginger, honey, hot water and sometimes just a dash of whisky ;))

Feel better soon!
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

If you have a high blood pressure you shouldn't take cold remedies that have decongestants such as the ones in contac because they can put your blood pressure up more.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Lucky for me I very rarely have high BP :) And they want me on tablets for it!!!! :shock:
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Vikki

Post by Vikki »

I used to be allowed even with the heart-lungs tx, but my renal nurses are ULTRA strict and don't allow anything. Everything we take has to be filtered by the kidney(s) so we;re not allowed stuff apart from paracetamol that the liver deals with. At least, that';s the VERY hard line I was given. And I have to disagree - stuff bought off the shefl can be harmful if not used properly, some of it is very strong.
Hope that helps, in some ways, I like that my nurses are strict, a big sign saying NO makes it easier to get it right!
Cheers
Vikki
Even with your eyes closed, may you see the light at the end of the tunnel

Elaine

cold meds

Post by Elaine »

Best to check with Drs or pharmacist about cold remedies, do remember Drs being very concerened about not using many off shelf remedies etc especially with kidney issues. Even not supose to take strepsils & cough medicine by Drs /pharmacists.

Always worth checking to be on safe side.Did use inhalation menthol capsules that seem to help.

best wishes Elaine & Rach x
dkjane

Post by dkjane »

I've just been in Europe. The plane trip(9 hrs.) from US was filled with "coughers" :cry: and of course I got a cold. I took Ricola and lots of tea. Before the transplant, a cold for me would last for weeks, this cold was over in no time...quite amazed by that.I guess my immune system is good!
kath1981

Post by kath1981 »

yep, i can second the hot lemon and honey!
try and keep your throat as lubricated as much as possible. not easy when ur on a restriction i know.
as for paracetamol, we were told that it wasnt a good idea to take them a lot... is the full dose allowed for a day for a few days because they can build up in your system.
Have you tried freezing grapes? sounds odd but give it a go.. they are soothing and taste lovely! better than any soothers!