post transplant diabetes

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Hazel

Post by Hazel »

Hi Keith

I have type 2 Insulin dependant diabetis and also CKD so looked into joint transplant and was told that only type 1 diabetics can be put forward to pancreas transplant

Regards Hazel
Regards Hazel
Hazel

Post by Hazel »

I have type 2 diabetis
I think the criteria is for type 1 plus if someone has lots of hypo's their bodies fail to recognise symtoms therefore risk severe consequenses.

Keith what is the reason for your question have you been diagnosed with Diabetits

ps you can moan as much as you like wen I first posted on this site you helped me tremendously, also I quite like hearing your moans you mostly say what everyone else thinks but are afraid to say

Regards Hazel
Regards Hazel
Mike

Post by Mike »

correct me if I'm wrong but 5.3 is within the normal glucose limits (3.5-7)?

If I'm wrong then guess I need to have a pancreas transplant too

Date and time Gluc
13/10/08 12:29 5.6
19/05/08 11:47 4.3
24/04/08 14:19 5.3
15/02/08 10:04 5.6
07/12/07 10:28 6.1
27/09/07 10:17 5.0

Mike
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
trigger

Post by trigger »

Hba1c should be below 7%.when they test for it is a more accurate view of someones diabetes over 3 months( the life of a red blood cell) 7% would indicate excellent glycaemic control. its usually only done in diabetic patients. its not normally used to form an initial diagnosis of diabetes, you would check fasting glucose and then maybe a glucose tolerance test.
when hubby was assessed for tx he was also told only type 1 are suitable he is type 2 and has fairly good control. his latest Hba1c was 6.4% his one previous to that was 8.3% but he has lost 4.5stone in weight recently and changed his insulin regime
its worth getting yourself a blood glucose monitor and checking your own blood glucose with a finger prick test. all the lancets and testing strips are available on prescription. and if you are on steriods then you have an increased risk of developing steroid induced diabetes
hubby had transplant 26.08.06
Cheryl in CT

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Hi, Keith -

I haven't followed up much on the pancreas transplant topic lately, but from what I recall, here in the US, type 1 diabetes is not necessarily a requirement for a pancreas transplant, BUT "high preference" is certainly given to those with type 1.

I believe that "just pancreas" transplants are a rather "new" thing, at least compared to joint kidney-pancreas transplants. I know that there have been statistics posted here in the states about success rates for 1) kidney + pancreas, 2) pancreas AFTER kidney, and 3) "just pancreas" transplants, with 1-year "success" rates highest for the 1st and lowest for the 3rd.

I think one of the biggest problems in transplanting "just a pancreas" is that these MUST be cadavaric transplants, and there are so many people in need of BOTH a kidney & a pancreas that there aren't that many "extras" to go around... (As if there were enough KIDNEYS to go around, right? And if they can use 2 kidneys & one pancreas from a cadaver, it almost makes sense that one recipient might be able to have a kidney & pancreas, and another, "just" the 2nd kidney... No "leftovers", I guess you could say...)

In any case, Keith, I do have to say that you ALWAYS give me lots to think about! I used to try to stay abreast of all the new developments I could in treatment/transplant options, but I have to say that coming up on my 6th transplantiversary (OCT 29TH), I've become a bit lax in that regard... Knock wood - no probems with my kidney, creatinine still at record low levels, BP at 110 over 70 - i.e. nothing to complain about! (It's just the stupid MEDS that get me - and make me sick way too often!)

wishing you all the best,

Cheryl
Connecticut/USA

In any case, I'm thinking it's "new days" for
Hazel

Diabetic referals

Post by Hazel »

When I was diagnosed with Diabetis my fasting Glucose was around the 30 mark.

I now take Insulin 4 times daily and therefore hover around the 7.0 mark which is acceptable as good control.

Following the progression of CKD I tend to have more Hypo's as the insulin remains in the Kidney for longer so I have to check more often to ensure I do not over Insulate. For the last few months I have had to reduce my Insulin by approx 3 units to maintain.

I may be different because I also have Pancreatitis (not alchohol related) and I need to take Creon supplements to enable the fats in my food to be absorbed.

Even with this complication I think the likelyhood of having joint transplant is still not good

Regards Hazel
Regards Hazel
Mike

Post by Mike »

Keith Elliott wrote:of course it is .. but 3.4-> 5.3 in a linear kinda way over 2 years means 7 is perhaps a couple of years away ..

yrs looks a lot more random .. are u managing it actively?

tc

Keith
Simple answer No as my levels are within the normal limits and as I take Tac and Pred I expect some fluctuation as both affect glucose. You are worrying too much as Hazel said her levels were in the 30's when she was diagnosed and if you had diabetes you would expect yours to be in at least double figures.

I just get on with living my life and dont worry about tiny fluctuations to my results. If you saw my full results I think you'd be having a heart attack! My Creatinine varies wildly but I'm not worried as 120-170 is better than 920 pre transplant is it not?
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
laurajadedaniels

Post by laurajadedaniels »

I wouldn't worry Keith, i was told i had diabeties when my blood sugars were in the 26s level.

I'm mikes bird by the way, i did register ages ago but i forgot my password so i registerd again so i can check up on him now :wink: :lol:
Mike

Post by Mike »

you're my "bird" are you hehe

there's nowhere I can go is there?
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
laurajadedaniels

Post by laurajadedaniels »

yeah i am!!

nope i'm watching you mwahahahahahahahahahaa
Laura

Facebook
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi keith,

Have you considered it could be something as simple as an allergic reaction? Dont know what meds your on but maybe that could the cause too.

Mike
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Keith
I'd say your blood sugars are perfectly acceptable, and not meaning to be rude, you're a bit paranoid about diabetes. I have to agree with Mike here, I tend not to bother about blood results unless I know for certain there's something very wrong - or the hospital calls me back.
I've been diabetic for 28 years now, suffered most of the complications but lived to tell the tale, it's just another part of me that I have to get on with. My blood sugars run about 7 - 9, any lower and I don't feel good. Yours at 5 or whatever are too low for me!!
I'm sure your strange pains, burning sensations etc are caused by something totally different - if it were diabetic neuropathy you'd certainly know about it, it's one of the most painful things ever!!
Best wishes
Lorna
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Have you mentioned these things to the docs already, Keith? If so, what did they say? Can't be worth trying to second guess something as major as another organ tx until other possibilities have been eliminated. I hope it proves to be something nice and simple.
dkjane

Post by dkjane »

Hi Keith,
I understand your concern and the itching is the body telling you something is wrong. Someone mentioned an allergy...that could be it!
Something like a detergent can cause an allergic reaction.
I just don't think it's has something to do with diabetes.
Keep investigating!
I've had episodes with flashing light..took my bloodsugar, which was normal...looked at the meds side effect and found Cellcept to cause vision disturbances.
Good Luck from Jane
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Diagnosing Diabetes

How is Diabetes Diagnosed in Transplant Patients?
In the transplant process, everyone’s blood sugars are different and sometimes unpredictable. The disease progression and / or medications used to treat the disease may cause blood sugars to run higher or lower than usual.

Good blood sugar levels are important to decrease risk of infection, improve nutrition and promote heart health. All of these things also help your transplant to function well for as long as possible.

Transplant programs follow recommendations by the American Diabetes Association (ADA) that all individuals age 45 and above, particularly those with a BMI equal to or greater than 25, should be tested for diabetes. If the result is normal, this test should be repeated every year.

Testing should be done earlier in individuals who have the following diabetes risk factors:

Overweight (BMI equal to or greater than 25)
Have a parents or sibling with diabetes
Are members of a high-risk ethnic population (African American, Hispanic American, Native American, Asian American or Pacific Islander)
Have delivered a baby weighing more than 9 pounds or have had gestational diabetes
Have HDL cholesterol levels 35 mg/dl or lower and / or a triglyceride level greater than 250 mg/dl
Have high blood pressure
On previous testing, had impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose
The ADA recommendations for diagnosing diabetes state that patients should be told they have diabetes if any of the following applies:

Fasting plasma glucose is greater than 126 mg/dl
Diabetes symptoms exist and casual plasma glucose is above 200 mg/dl
or
Plasma glucose is 200 mg/dl or greater during an oral glucose tolerance test
If any of these test results occurs, testing should be repeated on a different day to confirm the diagnosis.

If a casual plasma glucose equal to 200 mg/dl or above is detected, the confirming test to be performed should be a fasting plasma glucose or an oral glucose tolerance test.

It is important to communicate with your transplant team if you have concerns about your blood glucose ranges.
dkjane

Post by dkjane »

Found on WebMD that astma-patients can be very sensitive to common
pain relievers, such as Aspirin and Ibuprofin.