Top Tips for those going in to have a tx

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

MandyV

Post by MandyV »

I actually have a few more, prompted by the suggestions of others ...
* Actually if you use tampons take some of those in, if they are looking at your urine (post catheter removal) it can be useful to be able to demonstrate it is a period not a bleed (tampons are generally banned from hospitals so you would not be able to get any from them). But ask before you use them.
* I find the warm environment of hospitals gives me a 'stuffy' nose - so an olbas inhaler is helpful to clear my nose - and like Jen says lipbalm is a must.
* I didn't use my own PJ's for a while as I was having scans etc almost every day - just got 2 gowns and used them back to back (also saved on a dressing gown)
* Now is not the time for your la perla knickers - stick to the Bridget Jones variety, and make sure they are comfy
* If people want to bring you food in hospital, ask them not to bring choccies, but salty snacks (crisps/ savory biscuits etc) as the saltiness helps make you thirsty and that helps your fluid intake.

I should probably not admit this, but a week post tx I did a bunk from hospital and went to the hairdresser to get my (long) hair washed and dried, and also a mini facial/pedicure. I was exhausted afterwards but felt 100% more comfortable than before. I would not recommend this but perhaps ask a friend to help do something similar in hospital!
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

oh yeah! I remember now that in our ward there were 4 ladies and a relative of one of them used to come in and give us all a blow dry! It was brilliant :)

I would also recommend getting a bottle of brown sauce for the yucky hospital food. No-one was allowed to bring in prepared food from outside for us, which I found most upsetting as I just could not eat food after my transplant.

I am one who couldn't stand drinking cordial after my transplant as the sugar made me feel really sick and queasy. I never drank it anyway to be honest and I won't touch the stuff even more now. Same goes for any sugary drink - except of course for Fanta Lemon, as anyone who read my blog will know!
Paulab

Post by Paulab »

:D good tip's I'll print them off so I can look at them when the time comes!

Rik

Post by Rik »

lip balm and refreshing wet wipes ...
I wouldnt have survived without them!!
if I pop in and see someone in hospital I always bring them as a prezzy ...
and slip-on footwear not ones with backs to pull up over the heel ... the last thing you wont to do when your first up is to bend down to pull your footwear on :0$
dkjane

Post by dkjane »

Talked to another transplant patient the other day.
She gave the surgeon an instant camera and voila, she has pictures to show.
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

Quick barge here.. couldn't let the comment of lip balm pass by without my contribution. I have over 86 BRAND NEW tubes right now. Obsession? Picture available if in doubt ;)
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

*jots down tips*

My donor and I are going shopping on Monday to prepare for admission on Wednesday, so this will be v. useful! Thanks!
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thumps - Congrats on your transplant!

Anything you would add to the list?
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Thanks :) I can't believe it's only been two and a half weeks!

All really good tips, especially lip balm and taking a big cup/glass for fluids. I had people bring me milkshakes and smoothies for variety as well. The tip about getting a bikini wax for the ladies was excellent too, it really made a difference to how comfortable I was afterwards.

My extra top tip is EAR PLUGS! I didn't get any more than a couple of hours sleep each night on the ward cos it was so noisy and I pretty much discharged myself on day 7 because I couldn't cope with another disturbed night like it. Between the machines (unavoidable of course) and the poor woman next to me who snored like the proverbial foghorn it was impossible to rest well.

Best of luck to all those who have this to come, it really is amazing how quickly you notice the difference, even as someone who didn't feel "that" ill and hadn't had to have dialysis!
Laura

Post by Laura »

My transplant was last Thursday and I came home yesterday. It went brilliantly and I'm so happy. My dad (donor) is absolutely fine.

My tip for ladies is to bring baby wipes (or intimate wipes). I started my period ten minutes before I went down to theatre - I haven't had a period in seven months! So sanitary towels are a must.

Also bring the lowest cut knickers you own. I've found (and still do) that I don't like any elastic touching my scar. I even had to roll down my hipster knickers.

And yes, earplugs are a must!
abida nasar

how about giving tips for keepg transplated kidneys stable

Post by abida nasar »

hi friends,i came across the post regardg tips for pre op transplantees,those must have provn beneficial,so how about sharing tips;dos and donts to keep the very precious transplanted kidney get going a long way.inputs from those who r keepg stable years aftr transp would be equally welcum,i guess 8)
Pam

Post by Pam »

I guess the very first and most important piece of advice would be ALWAYS take your medicines as the doctor prescribes, every day....that seems so obvious, but many post-transplantees get to feeling comfortable and sometimes get lazy about meds and skipping a few times becomes once a week, then more and before you know it, the kidney is in trouble. Of course, we all have times when we forget our meds...just start taking them again and don't panic if you miss a dose.
Perhaps the second is your diet...eat lots of fruits and veggies if you are allowed, and don't forget whole grains and protein, dairy and lots of water if you aren't on a fluid restriction....I think I have to give a little credit for the longevity of my transplant to drinking water and lots of it! I like to fill some liter bottles with water and then chill them...you can drink out of them all through the day and if you ARE measuring fluid, you will know how much you have taken in.
Try to abstain from or limit alcohol and sugar...especially high fructose corn syrup found in soda and many other foods....I am a TOTAL fanatic about this! You have to read labels faithfully and see what is actually in the food you are consuming. Actually, new evidence has come out that high fructose corn syrup may cause chronic kidney failure, so I'd stay away from it as much as possible! High fructose corn syrup is hiding in almost everything! Bread, catsup, salad dressings, sauces, etc. all contain it but if you read labels, you can find products that are free of it....try and buy those if possible. I truly believe that high fructose corn syrup is POISON!
Always carry hand sanitizer gel in your purse, car, briefcase, etc. People may laugh, but they'll be the ones getting sick! LOL You touch so many things every day-germs are everywhere. When you get a cart at the supermarket, have some hand gel on a tissue and wipe the handle well....clean your hands before eating or even touching your face. You might want to carry a mask around in case you are "trapped" with a bunch of sick folks! :wink: You don't have to get panicked about it, just be careful.
Wear sunscreen in the summer or if you are out in the sun for any length of time as transplant patients have a high incidence of skin cancer...see your dermatologist once a year. too. Keep all your doctor's appointments with your nephrologist and transplant doctor and go for all of that bloodwork even if you think you've become a human pincushion!
:lol:
Of course, exercise, meeting with friends and just adopting a healthy lifestyle all around helps a lot....all things that are just good sense. Keep up with your hobbies and laugh a lot, too! Don't forget that your kidney was given to you so you could have a normal life and that includes having fun! :D
I also credit a lot to my faith in God and prayer....I know everyone doesn't feel this way, but it is something that I firmly believe has helped me. You have to decide if that is something that is right for you.
I don't really feel like I've given any advice that is new or surprising...just common sense stuff. You are now the owner of a new kidney that has been given to you as a gift...a second chance at life. Honor your donor by the way you take care of this gift and be a good steward of your health.
Take care of those beans! :wink:
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
abida nasar

thanx pam

Post by abida nasar »

:) hi pam, thanx a ton for ur common yet worth rememberg advice .its true we do tend to take our new gift of life for granted as days pass by.i m 5 yrs post transplant and i fully agree with ur suggestions,as a matter of fact i was getting loose as regards timing of medicines and adequate water intake :x
by da way what medicines r u on? have ur docs put u on steroid free drug regime?
i got da opportunity to cybernet after a long time,i owed u thanx for ur reply since then.thanx
take care(needless to say though :lol:
Pam

Post by Pam »

Hi Abida,
Sorry it has taken me so long to post! I am on Imuran and Prednisone only and they are all I've ever been on....32 yrs ago, that was all they had! LOL Anyway, my kidney has begun to fail-it's getting old like me :roll: -and I'm on PD right now. My meds have been cut-Imuran in half and they tried to taper my pred but did it too fast and I got sick, so I'm still on 4 mgs.
If I ever have another tx, I want the steroid-free protocol if at all possible!!! I hate pred and it has caused me a lot of problems, so if I can be free of it, I'm all for it! :wink:
Congratulations on 5 years with your transplant! (and please take care of yourself and that kidney, ok?)
Best wishes,
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
abida nasar

my earnest prayers for u

Post by abida nasar »

dear pam
i m immensely happy to learn that ur kidney served u for solid 32 years.u must have taken great care. i wish u all da best for ur stable outcome.u must b a brave person to handle pd after being so long on the stable kidney.keep maintaining positive vibes :)
i had been keepng well until today when i got my lab work done and was perplexed to find my creatnine to jump straight from 0.7 to 1.2 mg.i have got to c my nephro pretty soon.do wish me good luck
take care