Question for transplant patients

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

R30

Question for transplant patients

Post by R30 »

Hi everyone

I have a question for those of you, like me, who have been transplanted. Over the last couple of days I have really begun to "feel" my new kidney in my abdomen. Whilst it doesn't hurt, the feeling is a little unpleasant. Has anyone else experienced this, and does this feeling go away, or is it something I need to get used to?

Also, I have started to experience small shooting pains in my new site. I have been told that this is the nerves beginning to knit back together. Again, has anyone else had this, or am I going mad?

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Ruth (R30)
Elaine

Hiya R30

Post by Elaine »

Hiya although have no experience personally of having a transplant, I have nursing experience about sensations po-op. I should imagine that as it's early days since your transplant nerve irritation from the operation and to muscle tissue etc does take a few months to 'settle' down. I hope this feeling settles down 4 u soon. :D

Maybe other people who have gone through same op etc may be able to advise u about sensations about the kidney.

Good luck 2 u and take it easy :P best wishes Elaine Wilts Uk. :P
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Ruth..

I've always 'felt' my kidney... there are times (infrequent) when I'm blissfully unaware of it. But a lot of the time its 'there' in the background as it were.

You may get some shooting pains or 'twitches' or even itching sensations.. Mind you if you get sharp pains 'in' or very close to the kidney at least TELL the renal unit. I particularly used to get an itching /numb sensation along the topp of my rigth leg. I fugured the surgeon had 'nicked' the nerve that runs down there whilst cutting.
Of course you should always feel free to mention anything on your mind to them (sometimes easier said than done I know)

Take care

J
amanda in CA

transplant pain

Post by amanda in CA »

I too used to get transplant discomfort, it was most marked for several months after my transplant, but I did get it now and again throughout the life of the kidney. It tended to be an aching sensation. Amanda
Carolyn in CA

Feeling New Kidney

Post by Carolyn in CA »

This is for male transplant recipients only ... The surgeon told Richard that they move the cord containing the vans difference (spelling may be wrong) during surgery. This is the cord that carries sperm etc. He told us they move it one way to do the incision and then the other way to put the kidney in. He said sometimes they inadvertently injure a nerve or numb it. So the pain, that Richard, for instance is having, may be due to injury of the nerve or it waking back up after being numb.

Hopefully, you will all be better soon.

If there are any females, I have no explanation....

Carolyn
BrendaM

Pains

Post by BrendaM »

Hi Ruth
no words of wisdom I'm afraid but as another Cheltenham member I am thinking of you and hoping all goes well.
Best wishes BrendaM

PS Perhaps when our time comes for transplants (2 children affected) I could ask your advice on local facilities? (although I pray it is far off)
PPS we are fighting the proposed closure of the children's Battledown Ward which will affect us greatly as we will then have to travel to Gloucester +40mins each way.
R30

Post by R30 »

Hi Brenda
Thanks for your posting. Of course you can ask me anything you like concerning transplants - I assume yours will be done at the Bristol Children's Hospital?
Yes, I too, am furious that they are intending to close the Battledown Ward. I would imagine that most local parents are fighting this closure. What about parents on a low income that can't afford to travel to Gloucester - what are they supposed to do? I don't think the powers that be have really thought this through, and what is in people's best interests.
Ruth