MMF/Cellcept problem!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

SteveUK

MMF/Cellcept problem!

Post by SteveUK »

Hi there everyone, haven't posted for a while, hope you are all well. :D

I ordered my monthly prescription last week and went to collect today (Tuesdays and Wednesdays I can't even get near a chemist due to being at work from 5am til 9am) and the pharmacy.) Co-operative, tell me that there's a manufacturing problem with the MMF 500mg tablets! Great stuff, I run out tomorrow (Friday!)!!!!!??!?! I wouldn't call that leaving it a little close, because ordering a prescription a week in advance is my normal practice so I couldn't have foreseen this. I am extremely annoyed that the Co-op didn't even think to inform me considering they have my details.

My main point: I wonder if there is anyone here who has been told this recently and experienced the same problem? Basically after tonight I am up the s""" creek without a paddle, unless I try my hospital tomorrow, hoping that they have some!

What my pharmacy did say is that they'd try and get some 250mg tablets for me tomorrow, but at the moment, I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. I know there are financial constraints involved, but you would think that as I have to order these drugs "every" month that they would keep their stocks proper and inform their customers when there is a shortage. I mean, it's not like I'm going to one time walk in there and say "Oh actually I'm not going to take this medicine this month, so I won't need it." As I am a transplant patient; I have to take these every day, no matter how many times you explain to these poxy people, they just don't want to play the game. Every time I go in there, I get treated as if all of a sudden, I'm not going to need my tablets anymore and they ask me, each time, despite having every detail on me you could imagine, if I require certain medications this month and it's the SAME people working there EVERY single time. There is no personal touch - I'm just a customer on their database who just so happens to come in every so often.

I've always had problems with this lot as far as dispensing medicines have been concerned, so I do feel the right to have a right old whinge about it! I couldn't be bothered to give them a mouthful today, they just don't listen.

If anyone can help, listen, advise or recite any similar experiences I would be extremely grateful. Like I said, at the moment, it looks like I'm going to have to go to the hospital and explain things, hopefully they can bail me out of a situation that I feel Co-op have gotten me into!

Thanks again,
:)
Stevie
~I close my eyes, and This Is Yesterday~
My Band myspace!
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

Hi Steve,

I think the co-op are pulling a fast one here, I picked up my cellcept this afternoon (from Boots) no problems and no mention of any shortages!

Jim
Jim
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

hi Steve,

sorry to hear about the probs- can I ask why you can't take 250mg MMF? Thats all I have as this has ended up as my repeat prescription - I don't mind taking them and they seem to be better for the GI issues I've had in the past

x
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

jenjen wrote:hi Steve,

sorry to hear about the probs- can I ask why you can't take 250mg MMF? Thats all I have as this has ended up as my repeat prescription - I don't mind taking them and they seem to be better for the GI issues I've had in the past

x
Hey Jen, hope you're well :)

I can take the 250 mg tablets - it's just they said to me that they have to order them in for tomorrow, and considering past dealings with them I'm not confident they'll even have them! They should be able to get them before 2pm, that's not ideal considering I'll have missed my morning dosage. Also, as I take 2 x 500 twice a day, taking it down to 250's will be a right mouthful anyway!!!!!!

I do feel as if the wool is being pulled over my eyes, because I did get a remark from them quite a while back about MMF costing a lot - so what - I pay into the NHS like most other people, pay an extra charge for a prescription certificate, so I certainly pay something towards the cost of my medication, I never used to, but I do now!

Thanks for the comments, I'm sure this'll be resolved tomorrow but Co-op have annoyed me for the last time. The crux of it is that my surgery is a 10 minutes drive away, so it's not walking distance. This means I have to post off my prescription a week before and then I have to wait for it to be posted back. Unfortunately, no one in the area delivers prescriptions on behalf of my surgery so half the problem lies in the location!

Thanks again

Steve
My Band myspace!
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

Hi Steve-- I'm doing well :D

Sorry- i obviously didn't read what you wrote properly :: I thought you meant you wouldn't trust the 250mg MMF :oops:

I take 3x500g, so yes it is a bit of a mouthful! I don't mind though!

Can you get a mate to post them to you, or head to the hospital for an emergency supply? I must admit that not getting my meds on time because of pharmacy cock-ups is a big fear of mine!

And :evil: to the pharmacy for making you feel guilty about expensive drugs. Tough poo, it costs less than having you on dialysis!
Alasdair

Post by Alasdair »

Hi,

Had the same problem last week. They managed to give me 28 tablets and I'm waiting for the rest.

Cheers,
Alasdair
Alasdair.
Elaine

cellcept/mmf

Post by Elaine »

Hiya Rach got 3 mnths supply issues last week from main transplant unit/hospital and 3mnths further to be delivered at home as have a fab deliverey service door to door via an independant comapny which has always been fine ontime no probs etc. Thye ring and arrange a day thats suitable for you and guarentee signed delivery by 2pm. :D

Is there any chance you can get emergency supply from hospital renal ward? Have done in past even at midnight! :shock: As you say can't exactly 'just miss doses'.The ward was really helpful and printed off renal patient prescription to show them proof etc or evidence of meds required?

Good luck to you and hope you get it sorted asap.Maybe ask hospital IF they have postal delivery service?

Must say have heard before of mega shortages of Tacrolimus too.

best wishes Elaine & Rach x
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

I always order my repeat around 3 - 4 weeks in advance because of the fact that we have deliveries too - an excellent policy it really works.

I am also lucky to have a fantastic local independent pharmacist, my brother is on very expensive & unusual medication so the pharmacy holds a one week supply, and can get the balance within 24 hours ... so, if at all possible, you might try and see if there is a local option.
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Hi there,

I did manage to get to the bottom of this today, I got an emergency supply.

Keith, I've never suffered any side effects from the 500mg tablets, so taking either isn't a medical issue for me - in fact it would bother me more having to take 250 mg as I am on 2g a day which would equate... 4 x 250mg mmf bd....

I'm writing a letter to the Co-op now, and then changing doctors as this seems to be the source of the problem. Seeing as I have to post off the repeat request, it would seem a week isn't enough where usually I could send it off first post on a Monday and recieve the prescription by Thursday. Now this time it's taken 7 days to arrive, changing doctors would seem a fairly good idea - there's one down the road where I can actually walk to, and even order my prescription online -0 which Rachel my girlfriend uses she has had no problems with!!

Thanks everyone.
Steve
My Band myspace!
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

Hi Keith,

I`ve took the 500mg tablets for years now, what sort of problems have you come across? worried once more....
Jim
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

if one pharmacy is out can't you not get it from another?

good to see u steve.
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."