Update on Richard

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Carolyn in CA

Update on Richard

Post by Carolyn in CA »

Well, yesterday was a bit better. Richard's creatinine is back to 2.4. So it least it's moving down again, even if not as low as before. His foot is still swollen and sore, but they really want him to walk on it to prevent the blood clots in his legs.

His weight is now is biggest fear - he's up 13 kilos since we came here 8 days ago. The Doctors keep telling him not to worry, but that's almost 30 pounds and he's not even on Prednisone. He was, but for 3 days only, not Cellcept and Prograf. He thinks that means the kidney is not doing well, although he's urinating every hour about 100. He lost 60 pounds before the transplant and now half of it is back in a week. Has anyone run ito this?

I really appreciate your support, I don't know how I would have gotten through this week without it! I try to be strong for Richard, but sometimes I'm scared too.

Carolyn
nycpetit

Carolyn

Post by nycpetit »

There's really nothing you are describing that is unusual, especially for a cadeveric kidney, which as a general rule (i realize not always) takes longer to "settle." In a the overall picture, he seems to be doing well from what you describe, as scary and chancy as I am sure it feels each day.

His weight WILL come down. I promise you, just as the docs have told him. It's all the fluids they pump into you, the surgery, the whole adjustment period. I take the same two drugs he does, had the pred in the hospital first few days only, but was super swollen as well. They put a LOT of fluid in the body post-op because they have to. The kidney is working from what you've shared. They might have simply continued to put fluid in even after he was already quite over hydrated. Not to worry, it will come out, and at 100cc an hour, he's doing just fine.

I am probably much smaller than Richard, but I too was holding 18 pounds, the day after my op they stopped the fluids because I was so sore and uncomfortable with so much swelling. Even they were astounded at how bad my legs and feet looked. Eventually I had to have IV Lasix. This made no sense to me, but supposedly it is done in some units.

A cadeveric kidney, from the patients/friends of mine that were in the unti when i was, will take longer to come down to the ideal creatinine, and function a bit slower to start. However, it really sounds as though his IS working. It will take time. Give it two months before freaking out. :wink: It seems like a long time, but it will fly. Things get a little stickier before they get better. He will stabilize.

Keep your chins up, and realize that so far, it's all the norm. Keep us posted. And I send both of you good vibes!!

Natalie