Travelling abroad post transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

kidneybean

Travelling abroad post transplant

Post by kidneybean »

I'm 3 months post transplant and am thinking about having a few days in the sun later on this year. I've asked various docs and transplant nurses about how long I should wait and the answers vary from 3 months to 1 year. I know that there are quite a few of us on here who have been fortunate enough to have received kidneys in the last year or so and I was wondering how long other people have waited, or have been told to wait. Obviously I don't want to risk causing any problems with the kidney but I also want to take advantage of the freedom that it has brought me while I can.

Cheers
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

Hello,

I was told different things for different situations.

Before 3 months the main risk is catching germs from the cabin and being with people in a confined space due to being heavily immunosuppressed, as well as DVT/blood clotting issues.

3-6 months DVT is still an issue, but short hops up to about 3 hours (eg. to Europe) is fine if you wear compression stockings.

6 months+ DVT risk is reduced so longer journeys are ok but wear compression stockings.

I was told not to go anywhere needing vaccinations until at least 12 months out when immunos are reduced.
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

I was told 3 months+ Europe fine and so I did a number of short trips.

At 6 -7 months I went skiing in Europe and also to Cape Town. I was not told anything about compression stockings (but then I am on warfarin) - I was also not told, but avoided malaria areas and of course stayed out of the sun, so I enjoyed the warmth but no tan (not now, not ever says the dermatologist).
Andy

Post by Andy »

I went travelling around the world 18 months aftrer my transplant!
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
Helen Rambaut

travelling abroad

Post by Helen Rambaut »

Last summer I wanted to go to France & Switzerland in August just 4 mths post tx. The surgeon at 2 mths thought that was fine (in Europe) but.....a consultant a month later told me seriously that he really didnt advise going abroad till after 6 mths. As it happened in August my bones felt sore and I was a little concerned about this. I took the view that it was the consultant who was doing the aftercare and I would feel irresponsible if something went awry while I was away so we had a UK holiday.

Now this year ....we are going to France & Switzerland.

Helen
David12

Travelled after 4 months

Post by David12 »

We went to Spain for a fortnight four months post transplant - I waited for the first two week break between blood tests. My Consultant was happy for me to go.

Had a fantastic time and I felt better than ever. Unfortunately my blood test the day after returning showed a leap in creatinine from 120 odd to 190 and ultimately severe rejection. This was, however, I´m sure entirely coincidental and I would do the same again - the holiday a fantastic tonic after what we´d been through over the last year or so.

Steve
lashy

Post by lashy »

Chris was told to wait a year as he did not recover so well immediately after his tx.
We waited a year then went to Florida, we are going to Budapest tomorrow (wwo hoo) and are booked to go to Alicante in August! We are making up for lost time!
Just double check with the renal team and if they give you the go ahead then go ahead!
Emma x
Sue

Flights

Post by Sue »

I have to fly each week to London which is only 45 mins from Jersey as I attend the outpatients transplant clinic at Guys, I have never been told about any risks though I do have to say my legs gets quite swollen on my return to Jersey and stay that way the day after.

I did worry about germs last week as I had a couple behind me spluttering and coughing and nearly asked to move seats but as I hate any kind of attention, I kept quiet and tried not to breathe too deeply for the whole of the flight!

I hope to get away for a week before I have to return to work as I havent had a holiday since 2004 when I went to Dubai as my present to myself before going on the tx list.

Sue

Transplant 26/03/2008

www.mypace.com/bessieb1211
Sue

Guys

Post by Sue »

Thanks for response Keith, once anyone from Jersey, Guernsey, or Gibraltar get their transplant then care for 3 months is passed to Guys where the transplant takes place.

I left hospital on day 6 and stayed at a patient hotel at St Thomas' Hospital and got a car 3 times a week back to Guys for clinic. I stayed in the hotel for 5 weeks before it being agreed that I could return to Jersey.

I attend the Jersey Renal Unit for bloods. weight and BP on a Monday, blood results are faxed to Guys for their information. I then fly to London on a Thursday and go to clinic, so far, fingers crossed that has been fine as all my bloods are okay. I haven't come up against having to return for any reason other than on the normal clinic day, Thursday, if I did I would no doubt have to book and pay for the additional flight back. I hope that isnt necessary to be honest!

I have my flights booked for the 29th May and 5th June but I am going to speak to the Doctors to see if they will discharge me from Guys early as its costing me alot of money. I have to pay as I am over the Jersey General Hospital ceiling limit for assistance. 3 weeks early discharge to our unit here will save me £500 or so which will help.

All worth it in the end though to ensure my health is being taken care of. We do have a really good Neph here who will take over my care thereafter.

Sue