Same Initials I'm afraid.Ooooops

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

DECIES

Same Initials I'm afraid.Ooooops

Post by DECIES »

I have waited since 2003 for a transplant and believed everything was being done to assist me in this matter, but, on my last visit to the renal clinic I got a shock that left a bad taste in my mouth. Last December, another patient who had the same initials as me and obviously filled the same criteria was given a kidney meant for me. The consultant,without any remorse, treated this as one of those things, a glitch in the system, joking about two people not only with the same initails but fitted the bill for a transplant. Oh, yes, the other person had been on the list eighteen months, which is a long time, but that does not make it right. I wondered if this had happened anywhere else. :(
lashy

Post by lashy »

what a sad story. I have not heard anyhting else like this but I always say things happen for a reason although that is probably no consolation for you.
Take care Emma x
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

No I haven't - it sounds like a horrible error ... I would chase it up with both your hospital and UKT and see if there is any way of you getting priority or extra points as you missed your chance through an admin error.
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

oh my lordy!!!! Why on earth are they using initials to identify people?? This is truly an awful story and I feel really upset for you. Regardless of waiting time, it was allocated to you, and it might even have been a better match for you.... You should deffo, as Mandy says, chase up extra points on the waiting allocation system...

(hugs)
squiggles

Post by squiggles »

Oh dear :( you poor thing,huge hugsxxx

I know its a different scenario but when both my sister in law and i were pregnant at the same time(we had the same name but i was a miss and she was a mrs) we had huge warning stickers on every paper,file, and test result notifying to recheck to see if they had the correct patient.
Elaine

confusion

Post by Elaine »

Sorry to hear about the 'mix up' must be distressing for you to hear. Hope that a 'call does come for you soon'...

Well I know its not 'quite the same senario' however the hospital have had many major issues over getting confused with my identical twins and couldn't 'deal' with realising there are actually two girls/teens. The hospital kept insisting they had sent appts blah blah and op dates etc....

Had to speak to the Consultant in the end to get mix up 'sorted'. Especially when both had the same operation too! :roll: Only then did they realise there was actually two of them!! :roll: Scary thought of mishaps etc......Makes you realise how important checking wrist bands etc is on identifying patients, even though the hospital SHOULD be checking wrist bands as a hopefully'fail safe' check...unless wrong information put on initially!!.

Also had an incident post transplant when Rachs blood was taken and 'lost' after they had searched the hospital etc... finally Drs realised that the Nurses had put wrong addressograph label on her blood so had to be repeated and wait many more hours from finally being discharges post-transplant. Major clue was difference in creatanine as 1 on dialysis and 1 post transplant! :roll: Had previously happened day before too and asked to ensure correct info etc.! :roll:

best wishes Elaine :D
DECIES

heart warming.

Post by DECIES »

:lol: I would like to thank each and everyone of you for your kind responses.Although people such as we band of people,put on a front for the rest of the population concerning our particular illness and play the stiff lip at strangers,only we know just how fearful we can sometimes become,persued by problems the rest of the polulation knows and dare I say it,cares nothing about.It is a rare moments like this when during what has become a quite traumatic time,people such as YOU care enough to reach in and dispel some of the darkness..God bless.