Chest infection post tx

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

lashy

Chest infection post tx

Post by lashy »

Hi hope you are all well, my partner Chris had a transplant 18 months ago and has had a recurring chest infection since. Renal team and GP have been prescribing antibiotics nearly every other month but nothing is shifting it. He has some mornings where he is coughing blood and his cough is severe. Docs say that it is due to his lowered immune system due to immuno drugs but this is no consolation for Chris when he is struggling to play footy with the kids. Does anyone else have these bouts of chest infections and any ideas other than antibiotics for clearing it up?
thanks Emma x
ps whilst I am on here just wanted to know if others post tx ers still get swollen ankles and water retention? Chris cant wear socks some days as his legs are so swollen- other than these 'blips' he is very well, working every week day and his kidney function is 'adequate'.
wing

Post by wing »

Hi Lashy,
Can't offer any suggestions regarding the recurring chest infections I'm afraid - other than, avoiding areas where people are inclose proximity and in enclosed, confined spaces and liable to cough all over you!
With regard to the swollen ankles - oh yes! I know that feeling well.
I'm almost 2 years post-transplant now and my ankles are still quite puffy - though it has improved since the early days when I had legs like an elephant.
I've given up mentioning it when I go to clinic now as no matter what medications they tried, it didn't make any difference.
I try to sit with feet/legs elevated if I'm not doing anything. Don't know if it helps - but, I like it!!
lashy

Post by lashy »

thanks wing, at least its nothing to worry about. Hope you are keeping well, Emma x