Prescription exemption for all UK dialysis patients

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

jenjen

Prescription exemption for all UK dialysis patients

Post by jenjen »

Just moving this to its own thread, to save clogging up Helen G's post and also to let everyone know.

All dialysis patients are entitled to free prescriptions. You should NOT be paying prescription charges on dialysis

Here is information from the DoH on clarifying exemptions for renal dialysis patients

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Nati ... DH_4138605

Important bits highlighted:
Clarification of guidance on exemption from prescription charges for renal dialysis patients. Last modified date: 8 February 2007

The clarification of guidance on exemption from prescription charges for renal dialysis patients was issued in the Chief Executive's Bulletin of 1-7 December 2000, Issue 44

Guidance on exemption from prescription charges is set out in leaflet HC11, Help with Health Costs. The leaflet is also published on the Department of Health website

We would like to clarify the conditions for medical exemption from prescription charges in the case of dialysis patients. Any patient who has a permanent fistula which requires a surgical dressing or an appliance would be entitled to medical exemption if they have completed application form FP92A and a doctor has signed the form to confirm the condition (in this context, "permanent" is taken to mean "intended to last indefinitely"). Whether or not a dialysis patient has a permanent fistula which requires a surgical dressing or appliance is a matter for their doctor's clinical judgement.

We would expect the criteria to be met where there is a clinical need for a permanent fistula to be covered by a surgical dressing (for example between haemodialysis treatments) or by an appliance (such as a catheter for peritoneal dialysis).
If you don't already have exemption, print this out and take it to the doctor and DEMAND he/she sign an exemption form, as you are completely entitled.

It is not being on dialysis per se that exempts you, but the presence of either a fistula, PD catheter or neckline for three reasons:
1. The fistula or catheter is permanent
2. It requires a dressing or covering
3. The PD catheter/neckline is connected to an external device

Now, whether a PD catheter is considered permanent or not is quote "at the doctors discretion" but how are you to possibly know if or when it might be removed if you will get a transplant? All fistulas and catheters are put in intended for indefinite use ie. no-one knows how long you will be using it for. It might be permanent for as transplant waiters all too painfully know, it is impossible to predict. Even if you are lined up for a living transplant, it might not work. If ANY doctor tries to argue against this, be stong and stand your ground.

If you have kidney failure cos of diabetes, you are entitled to free prescriptions anyway.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by jenjen on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xXx Holz xXx

Post by xXx Holz xXx »

ooops sorry Jen, didn't see you had moved this to a new thread!

I'll copy what I said....

Hmmmm don't really know what to say?

I filled the form in and he said no! Thanks for that info tho Jen just want to quote a little bit from it....
Whether or not a dialysis patient has a permanent fistula which requires a surgical dressing or appliance is a matter for their doctor's clinical judgement.

So that was obviously his judgement? i only need it dressed overnight after dialysis?

I really like my GP... he is really clued up on renal issues and I can't fault him in anyway!

Wouldnt it be much easier if all renal patients were just automatically exempt!?

Hope both keeping well Jen and Amit!!!

xxx
Holly Shaw

Please visit my blog: https://transplanttantrumsandtiaras.wordpress.com
xXx Holz xXx

Post by xXx Holz xXx »

Thanks for the advice Jen!

Am seeing my consultant next week so will discuss it with him and see what he's got to say!

hope you are ok? x
Holly Shaw

jenjen

Post by jenjen »

hi Holz

forgot to say, if you are earning less than £4,000 a year (as you're a student and maybe not working), you should also be entitled to free prescriptions

Jen
rosa t

Post by rosa t »

Hi

Something else on prescription charges -remember if you have to pay for them then get a pre payment card - a yearly was is around £100.

I have had the yearly card for a couple of years now - it paid for itself in with the 2nd repeat prescription (mine are every 2 months).

If I paid for my items it would be over £50 every 2 months so it's really makes a difference.

bye

rosa
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it present
xXx Holz xXx

Post by xXx Holz xXx »

I got them free until I was 19, then I wasn't classed as a student apparantly!

There are so many loop holes in this isn't there!!!

I currently get the yearly payment thing Rosa :o) It's paid for itself too, (Renagels cost nearly £1 each tablet!!!)

Thanks again Jen, will spk 2 my consultant when I see him x
Holly Shaw

JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

This has been ongoing for quite a while. Some organisations such as the NKF have pressed to include PD in the clause, as previously fistula may have meant the non dialysis term. (google it). Obviously if your on a benefit of some sort you may be excempt but most of the info is on the gov websites.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

The thing that enrages me most about dialysis patients and prescriptions is that there is no standard across the country and depends on what GP you see.

Some GPs are understanding and sign you off on medical exemption

Some GPs are b*stards and won't do it

It doesnt seem a very fair system to me that it is all open to interpretation, persuasion and discretion...Thankfully on dialysis my GP was understanding and let me have exemption.

There is of course the England/Scotland/Wales problem. Thankfully yesterday, the Scots Parliament reduced the yearly payment thing to £43, about half what English patients are paying. Welsh people get theirs free.
Suey

Post by Suey »

I have just been through this with my consultant and he told me you had to be aged 60-65 to get Free Precriptions, I knew this wasn't true. The case is now that all Dialysis Patients can now get Free Precriptions whether or not you need surgical dreesings. I spoke to the Prescription Pricing Authority and they confirmed this. I was told by them quote "Consultants only know about things in their own field, and was best to get the form from your own GP, who would know about it."
I rung my GP immediatley and he did the form for me straight away.

Suey x
Hal

Post by Hal »

I had one of these for a few years... I'm sure this wasn't necessarily ermm appropriate but a sister in the PD unit at the hospital just signed the form for me!