blockedgraft

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

gary in bc

blockedgraft

Post by gary in bc »

Hi
Has anyone had an unused graft block? I have a left forarm graft but am on PD. A couple weeks ago it stopped working. No pulse at all. I called and went to the hospital, but the decission was since it wasn't in use, just leave it alone. This seems to be a major deviation to what I was always told. The pain has almost all gone, only now to pressure and use. If I lift anything, I can feel a pull. Also it is uncomfortable to extend full. Up to about about 160 degrees it's fine.
My question is, is there any danger of this clot moving, or the graft coming apart at the vein. There seems to be a bulge at the conection that wasn't there before.

gary
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Its not uncommon for a graft to block post transplant. I'd guess they are viewing this as the same tho as you are on PD and not transplanted its a 'little' surprising (there's a move here in the UK as in some parts of US to get grafts 'ready' before they are needed to minimise that 'waiting/healing time')

I don't think its dangerous but if in doubt go back and ask some more Q's

J
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast