UPDATE: Rachel is coming home from the hospital!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

~G~

UPDATE: Rachel is coming home from the hospital!

Post by ~G~ »

Hi,

Rachel is in the hospital. She hasn't been in there for quite a LONG time... but now she's back, and can use all your positive thoughts and prayers.

She got this wicked virus that is spreading rampantly here. It starts out with a very bad head cold, and some fever. After a week or so of this cold thing, the fever leaves and you're starting to feel better, and then BANG, it hits you again, in the chest. So this is where it gets bad for her.

As some of you know, she's had bad lung issues 2 and 3 years ago which left her lungs damaged somewhat and they don't operate in full capacity. Which is why its dangerous for her, and she's in the hospital. She said it feels like an elephant is resting its trunk on her chest, and its hard for her to breathe, and tiring to do so.

She can use all your prayers now .. that this should pass like it does for most.. and not develop into anything more worrysome.

Thanks all!!!
Last edited by ~G~ on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

G, really sorry to hear that Rachel is in hospital again. Please send her my very best wishes, love and hugs. I hope she recovers soon and gets out of that place. Sending all positive thoughts your way.
Love Nicky x
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I hope Rach gets out the there soon. I swear one day we're going to meet in person:)

Positive thoughts going her way..

J
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Elaine

Positive vibes to Rachel...

Post by Elaine »

Sending positive vibes to Rachel and hope she feeling better soon.

Take care and hope you escape hospital soon....

best wishes & hugz Elaine & Rach xx :D
kim

Post by kim »

Tell Rachel hello for me and I hope she is feeling better soon!!! I miss our chats so much! Give her hugs for me!!
sporti

Post by sporti »

I hope she makes a very quick recovery. Sorry to hear this
shazzer

Post by shazzer »

I'm not sure who Rachael is but I wanted to send my very best wishes to her and hope she's feeling better soon
love sharon
Rik

Post by Rik »

send cupcake my love and tell her no daft stuff like coma's and things this time!!!!
hope she is out soon G ... tell her to look after herself and escape soon!!!!!!!!
:0)XXX
~G~

Post by ~G~ »

Thanks for all your messages.. printing them now as we speak, and will take them to her later today.

Rik - absolutely NONE of that nonsense this time, she's been warned :)
amanda in CA

To Rachel

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, Rachel, I am so sorry that you are in hospital again. I hope that you are out soon. Love amanda xx
diandy

Post by diandy »

Sending lots of postive thoughts....hope Rachel soon feels better and you can rest more easily.

take care

di xxx
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hope Rachel's soon feeling much better and out of hospital.

Lots of love and positive thoughts to both of you.

Lots of love

Lorna
xxx
~G~

Post by ~G~ »

Hi! This is an update. Rachel is actually feeling better.. she has no more fever... most of the flu-like stuff is gone ... so the signs are there that she's getting better. Its just that some of the symptoms/effects are still lingering.

Her breathing is still very difficult, and the constant struggle is wearing her down to nothing. Her airways are very inflamed and whatever gunk is stuck she doesn't have the strength to cough up and get out of the way. So.. they are probably going to intubate her today ~ we'll know a bit later. When she's intubated she'll be able to rest, and rest, and rest - while the medication takes hold and her inflamation goes down, and she should be as good as new.

So, the ventilator does not mean she's getting worse - bc she's not. She IS getting better, she just needs a little bit of help to get there.

Question - how DOES someone on prednisone get inflamed anyway? Bc she's post transplant she IS on prednisone, so then why would she get so inflamed? They keep asking if she has Asthma bc her current profile is that of an otherwise healthy girl with a severe asthmatic episode. Shouldn't this not happen? I know, I think too much. I just get worried. If it is asthma, it wouldn't last so long. As an asthmatic myself.. a shot of epinephrine, a blast of albuterol, a bit of prednisone for the bad cases, and your'e as good as new.. very quickly.

well, that's it for now. Thanks for all your thoughts and wishes.
rosa t

Post by rosa t »

Hi

Wishing Rachel a speedy recovery and hope you escape very soon!

love

rosa

xxx
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it present
Art from Ontario

Rachel in hospital

Post by Art from Ontario »

Dear Rachel & G:

A wish for a speedy recovery and return home,
from your northern friend.

I have your pictures ( from G's wedding )
& look at them now & then.

My prayers are with you.