blinking vision? meds maybe? any idea?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Rachel in NY

blinking vision? meds maybe? any idea?

Post by Rachel in NY »

Ok, this is driving me insane. as i sit here trying to type this message, the light is flickering. well, it appears so. you know how if the light is on, and say a heavy electronic equipment goes on.. like the washing machine or dryer, and the light might temporarily flicker/dim for a millisecond.. well i have that all the time. Like I've had it now the past 15 minutes. it like flickers. but its not the lights. at least everyone around me swears its not. and its happened in 2 locations already.

any ideas??
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Rachel - not sure I have ever had that specifically but after my hernia op my near vision went completely and I could not focus on any thing like my phone, blackberry, the menu etc - long sight was fine. The surgeon thought it was hilarious which made me feel a complete fool until someone said that it was likely the anaesthetic I had and it did clear after a week or so - so perhaps talk to a pharmacist and find out if there is anything in your meds that could be causing it and then ask you doc.
Good Luck!
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

Good morning Rachel,

Long time no speak - I hope all is well other than the flickering eye problem.

It's funny you should post about this, only last week I had the same problem. I had been sitting down for quite a long time, I also had some water retention and a bit constipated and generally feeling horrid - anyway - I stood up to walk to another office and I too experienced strobe lighting. Initially I thought it was something to do with the power and then I realised it was my eyesight. As well as the flickering my images looked a little jagged.

It cleared after aboutn 10 minutes. I spoke to my dialysis nurse about it and she wondered if it might be high bp. It was pretty normal.
I've had no reoccurance since.

So sorry not to have any answers - but I thought you'd be interested to know that others have experienced something similar.

I'm on:

Candestarten
Atenolol
Felodopine
Omeprazole
Doxasosin

So all b/p management except omeprazole which enables me to eat without getting heartburn/reflux (which I have terribly since being on CAPD).

Incidentally, I'm struggling with APD at the moment. I will be stopping for a while to have a hernia op. and recovery and might switch to haemo.
I've had terrible problems with indigestion, heartburn, constipation, digestion etc. and spend most days in some sort of pain. Cannot keep going like that so hoping that haemo will be better. Starting with a neckline.

Anyway, waffle waffle!
Hope all is well with everyone else.

Nicky xx
amanda in CA

flickering light

Post by amanda in CA »

Rachel, I don't know what the problem is for you, but Nicky, it sounds like an occular migraine. I have this too and that is what it was diagnosed as.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Rachel:

I think a trip to the eye doctor maybe in order here.

I'm thinking two possible causes.

Cateracts, as you know common problem with prednisone.

A detached retina, less commmon but has been know to happen. Happened to my brother.

Now go get that checked out.

Bill
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Rachel,
I'd agree with Bill, get yourself to the doctor about this as soon as you can, especially with you being diabetic! I don't know if you've ever had problems with diabetic retinopathy but the sooner you get your eyes checked out the better. I've had a lot of retinopathy problems, and an awful lot of laser treatment to burn away the extra blood vessels, the worst time being when I was expecting Eirinn - I could hardly see a thing then, everything was blurred with occasional flickering and flashing. Hopefully your problem isn't diabetes related, but if I were you I'd certainly get it checked out as soon as you can.
Take care xxxxxx
Angel

Post by Angel »

I agree it is best to get this checked out. I had something similar with high BP several years ago. I can only describe it as a flashing daisy shape and then everything just seemed distorted when I looked at it. Hope all is ok and it goes off soon.
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

honestly i'm embarrased about going to the eye dr. one year it was 'yellow vision" which turned out to be nothing. seriously sometimes i felt like i was looking out of highlighter fluid. then on eyear i had a light - like a flashlight, that occasionally popped up in my right eye right side.. but only at night. maybe in the day i didn't see the light ;) its alwaysnothing and i'm embarrassed he won't take me seriously if i show up, yet again, saying my vision flickers!!!!

Years ago I did have a slight procedure on my eye, but that whole thing is completely healed...

Oh well. i'll wait another few days.
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."
Cheryl in CT

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Hi, all -

For me, like Amanda, it's those darned occular migraines.... Lots & lots of silver & neon purple squiggles & zig-zags dancing in front of my eyes - to the point that I can't even SEE what I'm looking at! They go away eventually, but while they're disco-dancing their way across my field of vision, they positively drive me nuts!

No "dimming of the lights", tho - just the occular migraines, which my docs seem to consider "harmless". (Of course, I don't think any of them has had to pull over, off the road, when succumbing to one while driving!)

all the best,
Cheryl
Bill

Post by Bill »

Rachel, Rachel, Rachel:

Don't make me drive all the way up there and drag you to the doctor.

If your uncomfortable going to the eye doctor because of past "flase alarms" then find another doctor. Its not like eye doctors are hard to find. Given your medical past I don't think anyone would consider you a hypochondric.

I cound go on with a number of old sayings like "better safe than sorry" but I'll spare you that.

Vision is not somethng to be taken lightly.

And Cheryl, Cheryl, Cheryl,

You just can't pop in and give a quick note and pop out for another year. You need to scrool down the the "Where are the oldies" thread and give us an update.

Bill

PS sorry but for some reason Bill seems a bit bossy today.
~G~

Post by ~G~ »

I wear contacts.. but have a very strong prescription (in the 10's) and I NEVER wear glasses bc the vision is very different. The last time I got a new pair bc I was flying overseas and wanted to wear them in the plane.. I wanted to wear them a day or 2 before to get used to it. So.. I bought a gallon of ice cream instead of a quart? (the small ones) and I walked into walls and tripped down the stairs. The contacts to Glasses conversion is so different its crazy.

But anyway, what I'm trying to say - is that every time I looked at white things, namely, a peice of paper, a white wall, or a fleurescent light fixture - it was RIMMED in shimmering gorgeous bright blue and yellow. It was shimmering. A peice of paper had glowing edges. As if they were on fire with deep cobalt blue flames, and bright yellow tips. It has to do with reflections in the glass or something.

Insane I know.

No. I don't wear glasses anymore.

Only if I read in bed!
kim

Post by kim »

Bill Bill Bill

I couldn't have said it better myself....thanks for sparing me with having to be a nag :D
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

thanks guys. I have an appt with my eye dr. hopefully i'll get it sorted.
Image Image

Rik

Post by Rik »

hope its sorted out soon hun ... you havent even got the excuse of living through the 60's and 70's drug lust that some on this Board seemed to have according to their recent reply!!!!! :?
I would NEVER mention Cheryl by name of course!!!!! :shock:
dkjane

Post by dkjane »

I'm so glad I found these messages and today, also found pages on the internet about optical migraines(never knew). Being just a year post transplant and a little nervous about the CMV I never had and could get in form of an eye infection. Just had "pink eye" infection and flickering light on and off.
I'm certain I've optical migraines now and then.
Have my eyes dilated tomorrow and hope, the diagnosis will be above.
Must be common among transplant patients.
Jane