blinking vision? meds maybe? any idea?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I've been getting these opthalmic migraines occasionally for the last 3 or 4 years, reassuring to hear from others who also do!
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

I get them too. It's weird and quite alarming, I can be on the PC or reading and without any warning, huge tracts of type/text disappear, it's like I have blind spots. I don't get a headache or anything but there is definitely a flickering, a bit like a heat haze on a hot road in the summer. Then it peaks and after maybe an hour or two, just seems to clear spontaneously. Had it checked out and there is no definitive reason for it. It doesn't happen that often but I just wanted to add that I, too, am familiar with it

Aileen x
The half full glass or the half empty? it's a no-brainer! :)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000139507823
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

Wow I posted this in '07 - didnt' expect to see a reply now :)

Anyway the problem dissapeared but as I write this, I have been experiencing 'dimmness' in like 15 minute spells, every here and there. alot lately.

so i've had yellow vision, blinking vision, blurry v ision, dim vision, and i give up.

i had my eyes checked here and there and that's that. :)
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."
dkjane

Post by dkjane »

OK, I'm the one who restarted the ocular migraine thread!
Yes, I have it! However, I would recommend anyone to see a real eyedoctor to get a diagnosis, not someone in an ER diagnosing 2 feet away! Turned out I did not have a bacterial "pink eye" but an allergic
pink eye. Doctor thinks the migraines are too often!?!I suspect Cellcept to be the one!! Will know more in a few days.
Still glad I found this thread, as I was very nervous, had no clue one could have ocular migraines!!!! Jane
Mike

Post by Mike »

dkjane wrote:OK, I'm the one who restarted the ocular migraine thread!
Yes, I have it! However, I would recommend anyone to see a real eyedoctor to get a diagnosis, not someone in an ER diagnosing 2 feet away! Turned out I did not have a bacterial "pink eye" but an allergic
pink eye. Doctor thinks the migraines are too often!?!I suspect Cellcept to be the one!! Will know more in a few days.
Still glad I found this thread, as I was very nervous, had no clue one could have ocular migraines!!!! Jane
Hi Jane,

Just a thought but do you have the new type of low energy flourescent or LED lighting in your house as they are known to cause migraines. The flourescent type flicker very quickly which you can't see but can affect migraines and the LED type actually output a very intense blue light (like the new type of car headlights) as well as white.

The old type of lighting I think is the only one that doesn't cause a problems with migraines so mayb e worth investigating?
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
dkjane

Post by dkjane »

Hi Mike,
My very first meeting at the transplant center, I was sitting in a tiny examining room with overhead lights you describe. Got a terrible headache and I knew it was from the flourescent light.
The headaches, I get now, are very light. Did have the zig-zag in my vision today, but without a headache.
I hope I'll know soon!
Thanks for your input! Jane
Angel

Post by Angel »

Just a thought but is any of this related to BP changes? When mine was very high I got flashing daisy spots in the eye. For many years now it has been very low-averaging out at 80/50 and I get exactly what Aileen describes on varying occasions which I always put down to low BP as a lie down and a drink seems to help. It is odd as when my BP drops on dialysis I don't tend to get what I call auras like this as my eyesight just goes, but I have had my eyes checked and they are healthy.