Just started CAPD

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

JanA

Just started CAPD

Post by JanA »

Hi there

My husband has just started on dialysis - he has had his training, but I have feeling there are going to be a few questions over the next few weeks and will be glad of any help.
At the moment he is experiencing a pulling pain as the last of the fluid drains out. It seems to be quite painful and I wondered if anyone else had exeprienced this - is this normal or can it be relieved in some way?

alos we 've had a bag warmer delivered - like a hotplate - but we wondered how people cope if they go out for the day. Do you use hot water bottles?

I'm sure this is going to get easier as the weeks go on!
THanks
Jan
jomc

Post by jomc »

Hi Jan

And welcome to the board. The pulling pains your husband is experiencing are normal and will last for between 1-3 weeks after initially starting CAPD. I think it has something to do with the tube positioning itself inside the body. It does go after a bit.

I have been on CAPD for nearlt 3 years and find it quite easy to fit into my lifestyle, you will find some of the equiptment inadequite for portability and many patients have to fashion their own supplies. That has led me to creat the company Renal Freedom. I don't want to use this board for advertising so if you would like to know more please PM me and i will direct you to my website. but it will be of interest for your husbans portability needs.

I hope everything goes well and if you have any other questions this is the place to get answers, eveybody here is very helpful.

Good luck

John
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Hi Jan

During summer months, I often went out for the day, and did an exchange with the bag at 'ambient' temperature, and apart from an occasional slight chill (a bit like you get when downing a pint of very cold liquid), had no ill effects. I'd say that was fine between March/April and Sept/Oct. Now it's getting more chilly, you probably do need to take the chill off of the bag. I would normally go out, and assume that I would find somewhere. This often involved persuading a chef to let me stash it in their kitchen somewhere warm for 20 minutes or so - the bags can tolerate pretty hot surfaces. Or just putting it on a radiator for 30-40 minutes would usually do the trick.

As a last resort, I sometimes put it in a sink full of very hot water - although that's not recommended, as it makes it harder to detect a leak in the bag, should there be one.

jomc's company does produce some very nifty bags, which were on public display for the first time at the NKF conference a couple weeks ago. They looked extremely high quality, and ideal if you want to be completely self-contained. They're a tad pricey (which is completely understandable, as they involve a lot of custom-building at pretty small volumes), so may be out of some people's budgets. I have no connection with it, therefore no qualms about advertising it here - see renalfreedom.co.uk :)
wing

Post by wing »

Hi Jan,
The pulling pain you describe was an issue for me when I did CAPD.
The thing that worked for me (and clearly we're all different so this may not help hubby one jot!) was to stand up while I drained out.
For some reason, I never had a problem with it when I stood.
It's worth a try.
Good luck with it all.
JanA

Post by JanA »

THanks for the swift responses. He's just given the standing up a try and that seems to have worked quite well and has drained a lot more fluid.

Thanks for the tips too about warming the bags. I did take a look a your site John - fantastic ideas - a lttle too expensive for us but very pleased to see someone's coming up with innovative ideas to help make life easier.
Gillymac

Post by Gillymac »

Hi Jan, I too suffered these same pains they do go away but on occaisions I still geta bit uncomfortable when draining. Ive been on capd since christmas.
I use a cool bag with a hot covered water bottle inside to warm my bags its been very handy and i have exchanged on car parks staff rooms and hotels.
This is unimaginable when you first start but gradually life takes over and capd becomes integral to whatever you happen to be doing.

Good luck and hope things get better soon

Gill x