Fluid Heating Time - A.P.D.

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

wing

Fluid Heating Time - A.P.D.

Post by wing »

Can I ask the experienced among you , how long should it take (approximately) for the APD machine to heat the fluid, so that the programme can then commence?
I ask as I started on this machine only 2 nights ago, but last night it took nearly 3 hours for the fluid to heat up before I could get going!!
This can't be right surely?!
Ant tips on how to get it to hurry up?!
Would putting the fluid in my bag warmer first be any use?
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi wing,

3 hours - yes thats not right! What machine are you using ? How are you putting the bag on the plate ?

I am using the Baxter HomeChoice Pro. I would say it would take about 45 minutes to make the heater bag completely warm - it doesn't make the bag really hot. (The fluid from the other bags gets heated during the night when it is pulled into the heater bag).

If you are using Baxter (I don't know about other machines) you need to ensure the bag makes proper contact with the metal disc on the heater, as it will only heat if it has contact with something there

However, often I put the bags out and then set the machine up straight away, the rational of this being by the time I have done this in say about 15 minutes and then done an initial drain of 15 minutes or so, plus time to connect up or so, its gonna be around 45 minutes till I fill for the first time. Also from what I have read the fluid being slightly cold doesn't make a different clinically, its just a comfort thing having it warm.

Good luck,

Hal.
amanda in CA

bag heating

Post by amanda in CA »

Hal is right. I shouldn't take that long to warm the bag. I would also say that 45 minutes also seems like a long time, mine is usually ready to go several minutes after setting it all up. amanda
wing

Post by wing »

Mine's the Baxter Home choice Pro, also.
I lay the bag on the section on top where the bag has to lie and, Yes, I ensure that the bag is touching the metal button thingy.
Last night, I did put the fluid in my bag warmer first and it was ready to go in about 5 minutes.
Another problem I'm having is "drain pain" - an awful dragging sensation in my abdominal/pelvic region when the machine is on its drain cycle. Any tips?
It also appears to be unhappy with the volume of fluid which I drain out when lying in bed - I had to get out of bed and stand up last night to get more fluid out so the machine was happy and would move on! I'm knackered!! Could it just be teething problems and it will all settle down?
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Wing,

You could simply have a faulty heater on the machine I guess - I would mention this to your renal unit - do you have a community nurse to come out to you ?

Most of the other things you need to check out with your renal unit as well as they will be specific to you:

The drain pain - I get this sometimes, usually at the end of a drain when there is not much there and its pulling on you inside! Check with your unit about this, it may settle down with time, but you may benefit from a Tidal regime which leaves a little fluid in you.

Most nights I use Bypass on the initial drain when nothing extra is coming out but it is dragging on me (so bascially the drain is finished but its looking to see if theres anymore fluid there).

I also have to get out of bed to get more fluid out than from lying down. I do this usually at the end of the initial drain and the end of the final drain (I set my alarm to wake me up about 20 minutes before the end of the treatment - yes it is a pain to get up sometimes when you don't need to). Sometimes I will get up to 0.5 - 1 LITRE more out. I don't normally need to stand up though, sitting on the edge of the bed usually does the job. I also try rolling on to each side if I have been draining whilst lying on my back.

This was explained to me by the fact the sometimes the fluid pockets inside you and you have to be in a certain position to get it out. It also could be to do with machine settings which say how much fluid needs to be drained before carrying on to a fill.

I used to only drain properly on my back, but now it seems I can work ok on my side as well (thank god because now I sleep much better!).

At the beginning, I had a lot of teething problems but eventually it settled down. Initially I had problems with being to dry and the old bowels. You need to make sure you are not too dry and are regular - again speak to your nursing team about this if you've got doubts.

Hope this helps,

Hal.
gary in bc

Post by gary in bc »

Hey
I know what you mean by "drain pain". Mine is far worse if I'm having bowel problems. (I'm usually less discrete." I can't sleep in a flat laying position any more. I have my legs bent at the knees and back and head elevated. Otherwise I get drain alarms all the time. I have even set the drain to leave in fluid, but sometimes that still doesn't work. When I'm elevated, it is no problem.
I also resent the machine. I'm on 8 hours plus 2 day exhanges. There are times when we have something planned, and I just say, to hell with it, and do 4 twin bag exchanges for that day. They don't much like it, but tough. My neph has gotten to the point where he's willing to help me with ajustments because he knows I'll do it anyway.
gary in bc
wing

Post by wing »

Thanks for all your responses.
I was starting to think that maybe a combination of manual and machine exchanges is the way to go - depending on plans for the day.
I suppose that I'd become quite organised and adept at doing the manual exchanges and had got it down to 20 minutes per bag from start to finish.
11 hours seems an awful long time in comparison - though I appreciate that for most of that time, the machine isn't actually doing much - simply "dwelling".
I'll persevere for now and see how things pan out.
I really appreciate your thoughts and comments - it has helped a lot. Thanks a million.
wing

Post by wing »

Silly me!!!
Blame the lack of sleep!
My last posting should have been under the Pros and Cons of APD posting - not the bag warming problem.
But you know what I mean!