constipation can kill.

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

jooms

constipation can kill.

Post by jooms »

I came back to the forum to try and obtain information. None found so I post this in the hope that others might help.

My wife (haemo) had constipation which resulted in surgery (laparotomy), septicaemia, pericarditis, and death.
I have followed up with NHS complaint and now it is with the Ombudsman. Such is the system in UK if you wish to find out what went wrong.

Anyone taking Sevelamer or Lanzoprazole and finding constipation side effect?

Movicol or Senna more/less effective treatment?

Would also like to hear about treatments for small bowel adhesions/calcifications, and peritoneal sclerosis.

Im think there are lessons here for many. I wish we had been warned because you cannot rely on doctors to pick up on things before they become a problem.
Patients need to share information and experiences.
Patients need to research their own illnesses.
dkjane

Post by dkjane »

Hello Jooms,
So sorry that you lost your wife!

I'm writting from California. But, you know what, last week I had such
stomach cramps and nausea. I suspect Sevelamer to be the cause.
Today I had an atempted colonoscopy, which showed a redundant colon.
The test was incompleate, so of to the hospital I went , for a Barium Enema. I think I might have to change to a different phosphate binder!

I hope I do not get taken off the transplat list ;(

Best Wishes and thanks for bringing this up! Jane
lashy

Post by lashy »

so sorry to hear of your loss, i hope you get the answers you deserve,
take care,
emma x
amanda in CA

constipation

Post by amanda in CA »

I'm sorry to hear that you are finding it difficult to get your questions answered into your wife's death. I take the phosphate binder that you are referring to. It does give make me feel a bit nauseated etc. but I tend to find that phosphate binders in general give me diaorhhea rather than constipation.