Tai Chi

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

LightLizard

Tai Chi

Post by LightLizard »

i used to teach it for a living (for the 10 or so years before i became ill)-
but had not taught for the past two years. last week, an old student of mine got in touch and asked if i were up to doing some private lessons in her home. we got together yesterday and it felt real good to be 'back in the saddle' again! P/D rocks!

love

~LL~
dkjane

Post by dkjane »

I think it's great that you continue with the Tai Chi!
How about getting some kidney patient together...doesn't relax the mind?
Jane
LightLizard

love

Post by LightLizard »

yes jane, it is a very soothing practice for mind, as well as body.
i have offered my services to the kidney foundation, through my dietician, and she has put my suggestion to the hospital's rehabilitation network.

lao tzu wrote 'the journey of a thousand miles begins
with a single step....'

some have difficulty taking that first step. but, i am a patient patient.
:P

love

~LL~
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Is this a stupid question, but why the 'link' between tai chi & PD?

Surely anyone can, tx, dx or or pd?? All pretty good if they work well ;)

J
LightLizard

love

Post by LightLizard »

well, for me, hemo dialysis often left me too exhausted to even walk for very far, let alone practice tai chi. i found that on hemo, my energy fluctuated from one extreme to another, from day to day, whereas on P/D, my energy has become more stabalised and consistent. my B/P is also more stable on P/D and my weight fluctuates less. all of these factors make performing tai chi more pleasureable for me.

love

~LL~
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi,

Sounds good... when I was on PD and at uni, I did quite a bit of Tai Chi.

Used to go to the council centres in Liverpool - I was the youngest there by 30 years at the least!

It used to be very convenient to go during the day and cost about £1.50 a session.

Now I'm in London and working its very difficult to go, plus costs a fortune. I can't really commit to being there every week of a 12 week course and nowhere seems to offer it just learning as you go along as I did in Liverpool.

Will have to stick to the gym and trying to get to playing a bit of tennis again.

Glad you are enjoying it again,

Hal
LightLizard

love

Post by LightLizard »

thanks hal, that's nice to read.
my skill level is nowhere what it used to be, of course, but it just feels good to be able to do it again!

love

~LL~
diandy

Post by diandy »

Dear lightlizard,

A few things sprung to mind when I read this thread. Firstly how wonderful it must feel for you to be getting back into something you clearly love doing and secondly how great it would be for others with kidney conditions not only have tai chi lessons but to be given by someone on dialysis. Sounds great all round to me!

di
LightLizard

love

Post by LightLizard »

thanks di. when i first got sick i couldn't practice at all. then, as i regained some strength, i felt that it would be hypocritical, at least, to teach a health art, knowing the condition that i was in. but now, i do see how, regardless of my condition, there are many that could benefit from the practice, really.
twice, my doctors expected me to die, in the past two years. the only thing they can attribute my survival to is the many years i practiced tai chi (and qigong) - which blessed me with strong lungs and a strong heart. that, in itself, is reason enough to get me teaching again. not to mention the excessive boredom that comes with inactivity, and my need for making a little extra cash.

love

~LL~