How do I get off a kidney drug trial ?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

lashy

Post by lashy »

hi,
my partner requested to come off the anti rejection drug trial. He had some worryimg symptoms such as pain, swelling and general feelings of being 'not-quite-right'. He had no trouble from the hospital (Manchester Royal). At the end of the day the decision is yours and you have the right to choose to come off the trial with no pressure to stay on it from any staff. As soon as he changed medication he began to feel fantastic and really started to feel the benefits of his transplant.
hope this is of use
emma x
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Keith - as mentioned before I really don't think that you are on a trial per se - otherwise you would have had to consent to it. The fact remains that you do not believe that your drug combination is the most appropriate for you and would like it amended. So my suggestion is that you put in writing (via a formal letter, with copy by e-mail if you like) to your nephrologist your feelings about changing regimes and ask for a meeting within a certain period specifically to discuss. Then if he does not respond you could escalate by copying the chief executive etc. The most important thing is that you should have an informed choice of the different regimes available to you, and if, for whatever reason, this is the most appropriate they should discuss in detail the reasons and you should agree with the final conclusions.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Hi Keith,
I have pm'd you, but if you would like a second opinion because of your medication I would recommend contacting ICAS but I gave you the wrong tel no I think. Because you are south west I am giving you Cornwall contact 01579 345193. They can help you if you are unhappy with any aspect of your care, and deal with complaints about the NHS only. They do not act as ambulance chasers but help to resolve your issues. Which I think is great news.

Hope this helps
Sharon :D