Handling Birdcatching Cats post transplant???

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Handling Birdcatching Cats post transplant???

Post by JMan »

A question given to me via the mum of a friend of mine who had a transplant on Sunday :)

I quote from the email.
"Ixxxxx wonders if you know of any sources of information about the following:
How dangerous to immuno-suppressed people is it to stroke or hold a cat who catches a lot of birds?

She would like to know!"
I know there was a thread on something similar here. Can't find it tho. Comments & replies please : :D :D

Thanks

J
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Marion

Post by Marion »

I am not post-transplant but have been on a lot of immuno-suppressive drugs over the last 2.5 yrs due to cancer and Goodpasture's disease including 2 lots of chemotherapy etc.

I have about 8 cats, most of whom are feral but I have 2 'domestic' cats, one of which is an inveterate bird catcher of great expertise. He is handled by myself on an extremely regular basis and even brings birds in to the bedroom in the morning if I have not got my backside out of bed to feed him early enough! This means that I also have to catch the birds myself and put them back outside (he never injures them when he uses them for this particular purpose - he knows I will HAVE to get out of bed to save the poor creature!!).

I have never had a problem with this and my consultants / HD nurses etc have never mentioned it as being a problem even tho they know I have cats and a dog.

Hope this helps. And congrats to your friend! :D

Marion.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi Jim ...
firstly brilliant news about your friends trans-plant :0)

post transplant I came home to 5 cats ...
I personally didnt think about the possible problems it might cause ... but then I also dig earth ... again some people have been told that they shouldnt do that either due to the possibility of germs in the earth ... and I wont even mention I go fishing and handle unwashed fish WITHOUT protective clothing or rubber gloves up to my armpits!!!! :shock:

I think one would need to live in a plastic bubble if one took notice of ALL the slightest risks ...

its like being in ESRF and during dialysis ... one needs to take a sensible approach ... but also realise that one needs to live as near a normal life as one can ... illness or come to that ... transplant ... shouldnt rule ones life!!
blimey .. I didnt think twice about swimming in the canal last year ... maybe I should have sent samples away for testing first!!!! :shock:
well ... erm ... technically it wasnt so much as swimming but falling into the canal fully clothed ... :oops: ... but I DID have to swim back to the boat!!!! :roll:
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Hey Rik, sounds like you got plenty of coverage from the best free prophylactic on the market which is a fonky attitude
JMan

Post by JMan »

Thanks folks, I'll leave this thread to run a little more,hopefully some more cat loving replies. Then send it on to my friend. (Who will probably think we're a bunch of nutters!)

J
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Live to Fly
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Perhaps I am being a bit dim but I cannot imagine what the bird catching in particular should be a concern - the issue with cats (and probably all animals) has to do with their faecal material - so handling of kitty litter etc. I cannot not see why, using normal, decent hygiene after handling any possibly high risk materials - like cleaning out the kitty litter tray etc (in other words washing hands / other surfaces) and not letting cats jump on work surfaces (because of contamination on their paws) etc would not suffice.

It has been suggested that pet owners live longer / have positive benefits re blood pressure etc because the handling of pets can have relaxation benefits. So as a cat owner myself I see no reason why practising normal basic good hygiene would not be absolutely fine ....
JMan

Post by JMan »

Mandy I believe it's more to do with some of the diseases that birds can carry. Hence if a cat catches them there is a potential danger. But what people have posted makes sense.
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Live to Fly
Elaine

precautions with cats post transplant etc..

Post by Elaine »

We also asked renal consultants etc regarding cats/pets and also about bird flu etc..

We got told that even on dialysis p/d Rach was advised NOT to get any pets like cats dogs due to bugs they carry also their hair malting etc can get into exit sites causing infections too etc. They did say that you MUST be Very careful handling pets at all washing hands thoroughly etc if you do come into contact with pets etc. Not handling litter trays etc especially.

We asked about bird flu etc and was advised similar precautions etc 'ideally' to keep away from cats that may have caught a bird eaten part of it etc..We had a cat that in summer always caught birds & 1/2 eaten yukk!! :roll: and worried us as he was trying to bring them into the house etc-until we locked tha cat flap! Sadly we lost him in an accident last xmas so didn't have that worry anymore.

Prob best to ask consultants theirself regarding precautions etc specially if immunity compromised psot-transplant. Wish them all best with their transplant.

Elaine & Rach :D
Elaine

bird flu questions....

Post by Elaine »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6329419.stm#capture

this link answers some of the questions from BBC webpage.

Elaine :D