Free Prescription whilst on CAPD

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

AmitChouhan

Free Prescription whilst on CAPD

Post by AmitChouhan »

Hi. Does anyone know whether as a CAPD patient whether I'm entitled to free prescriptions. Last year I bought a pre-paid card, which paid for itself, but I'm not sure whether CAPD qualifies under the rules.

Advice would be appreciated.

All the best,
Amit
Gillymac

Post by Gillymac »

Hi Amit, hope your ok, yes you can have free prescriptions get it sorted !

Gill
Marion

Post by Marion »

Hi Amit,

Yes you definitely qualify for free prescriptions. You have a wound (exit site)
that requires a permanent dressing on it and that is what qualifies you.

Ask your Dr. to fill in the correct form that you then have to sign and send off. They are pretty fast at sending the proper card back to you. Mine only took a week, much to my amazement!

Marion.
res

:)

Post by res »

Amit,

I've heard many things about CAPD patients being entitled to free prescriptions, I just never found this out for myself when I was on CAPD! I hope you get an exemption certificate soon.

res
tommc

Post by tommc »

Amit

Your definatly entitled to a free prescription i was on PD a month befoere i found out . It falls under having a perminate applience. on the exemption list it does specify a fistuale but a PD line counts too.

Tom
Transplanted 31/05/09

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk
AmitChouhan

Post by AmitChouhan »

Thanks everyone for the quick and fantastic response.

I'll drop a note to my doc today! :lol:
trigger

Post by trigger »

yes you can get free scripts. but remember if you then get a transplant you then dont get free scripts unless you have a pre existing medical condition which is covered ie tablet or insulin controlled diabetes, underactive thyroid i think are a couple
hubby had transplant 26.08.06
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi Amit ...
you might want to read this thread of messages .. it gives you the link to the part of the Government website regarding free prescriptions ...
you are entitled to free prescrptions whilst on PD mate ...
wing

Post by wing »

And don't miss out on the opportunity for a reduction in your council tax if you use a bedroom for storage of your PD equipment and to undertake exchanges.