Auto-immune diseases

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

LinMarie

Auto-immune diseases

Post by LinMarie »

I have Ulcerative Colitis, SLE (lupus), Good Pastures Syndrome (1990), Bowen's Disease and Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (liver disease). I had total kidney failure in Jan. 1990, a transplant in Mar. 1993, return of Good Pasture's Syndrome in 2000, Kidney failure again in 2004. I am currently on home hemo-dyalisis. I cannot get another transplant :( until I have an ileostomy because of the very high risk of cancer with the anti-rejection drugs. Does anyone out there have similar health issues and what is your prognosis?
Linda
Marion

Post by Marion »

Firstly, welcome to the board. :) There are very friendly and helpful folk on here - I, for one, would be lost without them!

You've certainly been through the mill ! I've had advanced cervical cancer (2004) followed by Goodpasture's (2006) and consequent renal failure, am currently on HD having tried and failed with PD. My problems are nothing compared to yours but I'm still here, the cancer is currently in remission and has been for the last 2 years and I'm stable (finally!!!) on HD. The Goodpasture's has not returned - so far!! So the general prognosis is good. I can't get anywhere near the transplant list until I've been clear of cancer for 5 years but so far all is going well.

I'm sure someone else will turn up with help - they're a great bunch on here. Wishing you luck for the future.

Marion.
lashy

Post by lashy »

hello and welcome
i am sorry i have not got any answers for you just wanted to say keep well and take
emma x
Doolally

Post by Doolally »

Linda, wow, what a rollercoaster you've been on. I don't have all that going on but just wanted to say I hope things improve for you and you find some good advice and support here.

Love Ali :)
Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis (MCGN/MPGN) TYPE 1
Stage 5, nephrotic, hypoalbuminia, proteinurea, hypothyroidism, anemia, vitamin d deficiency
Ramipril, Levothyroxine, Ferrous Gluconate, Alfacalcidol, D3, Domperidone, Amitriptyline
alishe

Post by alishe »

Hi Linda, sorry to hear about your illnesses, sounds like you've been on a roller coaster like me. I'm at the moment being treated for Breast Cancer, had a masectomy Jan 2006, when I found out that I got Polycycstic Kidneys @15% left, did not know anything about it, came as abit of a shock, cause I was in still in shock of finding out that I had cancer, I am having herceptin at the moment, got 3 more treatments to go, then hopefully thats one thing gone, just got to wait five years for a transplant, already got a fistula, just waiting to go onto dialysis, I'm at 8% at the moment, and its getting quiet scarry!
lol
Sheila