Kidneys working @ 2% ???

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

claire

Kidneys working @ 2% ???

Post by claire »

Hi all

I was wondering what this means, I saw my renal cons yesterday and asked him how my kidneys were doing he said their working at around 2%, I got a call on sunday from Oxford, and I didn't match, what does this mean? H E L P :roll:

Thanks for your time

Claire xx
lashy

Post by lashy »

sorry i cant help but i am sure someone will be along soon with the answers
take care
emma x
tommc

Post by tommc »

Claire without more info its hard to say if your consultant was taking about your function leval at 2 % i would expect that your already on dialysis is this right.Cant say what you didnt match to, was someone being tested as a doner for you and mabey your bloods etc didnt match?

Tom
Transplanted 31/05/09

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk
claire

Post by claire »

Hi Tom

I'm on pd and going for a double tx (kidney and pancreas) the doc at Oxford said the kidney would die, because my bloods didn't match up, but my renal doc at Coventry said all mt bloods came back fine when I had my bloods taken at Coventry, my creatinine was 550 everything looked fine.

I hope this helps

Claire xx
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

hi claire
there are two seperate issues here

1) transplant matching has nothing to do with creatinine- its based on tissue type and the cross match. What would have happened on sunday is that they would have called you in b/c you were a good match [out of the 6 tissue types everybody has]. BUT it sounds like you failed the cross match test. Even if someone is a perfect match with a kidney there is a possibility that your body has antibodies against that persons blood.

This is why they do a crossmatch test, where they mix your blood with the donors blood to look for any reaction. If there is a reaction, it means something in that donors blood makes your body react badly, and therefore attack the new kidney, meaning that it would stop working. So, there is no point putting it in you if it won't work!

2) If your consultant said everything looks fine with your bloods, then this means that the levels of creatinine, urea, potassium are all ok. This is a seperate issue from transplant matching, which goes on your tissue type and not the levels of these substances in your blood.

If your GFR is 2%, then i would expect that you are on dialysis? My creat is 500 something and I'm on PD.

I hope this helps, and I'm also sorry that your transplant did not go ahead, but it is better to not have it than have a kidney which only works for 1 day because it would make it harder to transplant you next time.

Best wishes
Jen
Julie

Post by Julie »

Hi Claire,

When you start dialysis (typically somewhere around 10% kidney function) your native kidneys will continue to deteriorate over time, hence your neph saying your kidney function is now only at 2%.

PD is now cleaning your blood and removing the excess water from your blood that your kidneys were doing when they worked.

You will have had all manner of blood tests done for blood type and tissue typing so they can put you onto the transplant list and will know when a kidney & pancreas come available that they match your tissue type. It would appear from what you said that you had a match which is why you were called in to Oxford on Sunday.

However, there is one final blood test which they have to do but can only do at the last minute... this is called the cross match. This is where they put your blood and the donors blood together to see if they react or not. If the bloods react together this is called a "positive cross match" and the transplant cannot go ahead.

From what you have said, I can only assume this is what happened to you on Sunday.

I hope you get called again very soon and have better luck next time.

All the best,
Julie
xxx
claire

Post by claire »

Hi Jen and Julie

Thanks very much, I thought yeah my bloods are all ok so whats happening, youv'e both reassured me.

Claire xxx