Helen's had her transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Sorry I'm so late in posting, I'm just back from my holidays - but what wonderful news! Hope everything continues to go well for Helen and her brother, thinking of you both and hope you both make a great recovery and are soon out of hospital.

Lots of love

Lorna
xxxx
nycpetit

Post by nycpetit »

Great news! Best to both of you! What a wonderful gift your brother has given you!
When we offer a hand, others are lifted.
Vikki

Post by Vikki »

Hey Helen
So sorry I'm so late. Congratulations! I am delighted for you, having just had my one year anniversary I am still reeling from the difference it has made to me. Your brother is amazing, I'm so pleased for you!
Take care, keep that speedy recovery going!
Lots of love
Vikki x
Even with your eyes closed, may you see the light at the end of the tunnel

Helen Rambaut

Helen transplant

Post by Helen Rambaut »

Hi Guys. Thanks for all your best wishes. Mandy V brought me a copy of them when she visited me last Monday.

It was 2 weeks today! 2 days after the op I realised I was feeling better in my top half. My head felt clear and I felt better than the "good" part of the day on dialysis. I made good progress and was discharged last Tuesday afternoon..... Only to be called back into hospital that very night because the blood test that day showed a jump in my creatinine. The WLRC is very thorough. I now understand what the 6-8 weeks after care is all about. They spend a lot of time monitoring and sorting out. I was discharged again last Sunday and had my first clinic the next day. Next clinic is tomorrow.

Feel a bit wretched at the moment becos the scar is sore. After all its major surgery and I have a 10 in scar with staples. But time will heal that. Somewhere I picked up a cold which I could do without. Also having to drink constantly (and go to the bathroom all the time!). Find I dont want to see anyone at the moment and just watch telly. i.e. dont want to make an effort to talk or be responsive to anyone. My husband is great at looking after me. Think the body has been so assaulted by the drug cocktail that its protesting a bit.

But the bottom line is all this will be fixed in time and the kidney is working excellently. All the time spent at the hospital clinics will be well worth it because they have a good record on making sure they dont lose kidneys and set things up for the kidney to last as long as possible. But it does mean that I could be called back into hospital at any time and is nothing to worry about.

My donor is in fine shape. The op was on Wednesday and he was discharged on the Saturday. He went straight out with his friends to a restaurant! His scar is tiny. I am seeing him at his first post op clinic tomorrow. Such a wonderful thing for him to do for me.

Thanks again for your best wishes.
Helen
squiggles

Post by squiggles »

So pleased you are both doing well and hope you heal soon.Im quite shocked at a 10" scar,is this normal size,i dont know why but i was thinking you might have just a couple of inches.

take it easy hun,youve been through alot :D
nellylela

Post by nellylela »

hi helen, glad you're doing well, and him too :D hope your clinic was ok yesterday?

tc xx
"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves." James M. Barrie
helenb

Post by helenb »

hi

glad its all going well, 10 inch scar :shock:

take care

x
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

hi helen

Glad the kidney is working well!! I'm really pleased for you

Thanks for all the updates too, keep em coming!!
Helen Rambaut

helen tx

Post by Helen Rambaut »

In the middle of last week (6 wks post op) it dawned on me that I felt great. It sort of crept up on me and I had been wondering when I would feel better i.e. not just getting better from the op. Its an incredible feeling. Today I realised that what I feel is that I dont feel ill like I did before. I cant remember when I last felt this way. I bounced into the clinic and was told I could come back in 10 days time so fingers crossed. Lots of positive thinking now.

And squiggles the scar is 7 inches long (and it curves round the bikini line) so its not as alarming as 10 inches but who cares? Looks pretty neat to me.

Helen
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

That's great to hear Helen :D I think you almost forget what it's like to feel normal, then all of a sudden it's just the best feeling in the world to wake up feeling refreshed and raring to go. Long may it continue for you!

Lots of love
Lorna
xxxx
squiggles

Post by squiggles »

great to hear your feeling good,long may it continue

love and hugs xxxx
Pam

Post by Pam »

How wonderful!!!!!!!!!!! Helen, I hope you are soon up and running down those hospital halls!! :wink:
God bless your brother for giving you such an awesome gift!
Hugs from across the Pond,
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Pam

Post by Pam »

Oooops, I got here a bit too late :oops: -glad you are home at last and feeling great! You go, girl!
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28