I'm new here

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

alishe

I'm new here

Post by alishe »

Hi everybody, I'm new to all this, don't know anybody thats got what I've got a gfr of 9%, creatinine level of 478, waiting for a fistula in May, and now it seems I am going to have central line put in, next week as my other arm have lymp nodes taken out and cannot be used for iv or taking blood pressure due to having breast cancer last year. I am worried about having a central line being put in, and also having the fistula done as well. Due to my cancer treatment I will not be allowed to be put on the transpant list for 5 years. Is there anybody else out there who is like me, struggling with things Waiting for heodialysis.

Still kicking though
lol
Sheila
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Wow, you really have got the starter, main course with side salad & desert!

Welcome to Kidney Patient Guide, your in the right place.

There are a few people quite a few pre dialysis folks here, waiting to get grafts (fistula).

Myself, I'm on haemodialysis & definitely still kicking. (Don't bite doctors tho, it usually ends up with security being called)

Welcome again:)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
alishe

I'm new here

Post by alishe »

Hi again, don't know if this is a good thing to ask, but what is like to have a central venous line in, and what do you feel when you've had hemodialysis? I am waiting for all this to happen, suppose you could say I'm worried...well very worried. my gfr went down to 8% last month buts its back a 9% now. How do you keep it all together? Sheila
xXx Holz xXx

Post by xXx Holz xXx »

Welcome to the board... like Jman said your in the right place!

I had a central neckline in when i started dialysis in the end it stayed in for 18 months until i started using my fistula. When your actually on dialysis with a neckline there is no pain. After dialysis I usually feel tired and washed out with wat i can only describe as a "fuzzy" head (Maybe thats just me)

I think the fear of the unknown is scarier than it actually happening! I was quite lucky in that respect as i was a "crash lander" straight on dialysis with a days notice - so no time for worrying!

Anyway I'm rambling.... the people on this board are fab and really supportive! Feel free to ask any questions you have!

Welcome again & take care

lv Holly x
Holly Shaw

Please visit my blog: https://transplanttantrumsandtiaras.wordpress.com
alishe

Post by alishe »

Hi again
thanks for your comments the only thing is I'm not having the central line done for haemodialsys, but so I can complete my herceptin, don't know when I'll go on dialsys, as I'm not getting a fistula till May, as I'm already on bucket loads of sodium bicarb and renagel tablets, don't know if I'll be at work on Wednesday as Tuesday is when I get my central line, has anybody gone back to work the next day after having one fitted? lol Sheila
LadyMacBeth

Post by LadyMacBeth »

Hi I am new here too!

Are you having a central line done for meds? I had two central lines as my emerg surgery back in 2004. You are just talking about another type of IV line right that is in your neck because that is what a central line is to me.... If that is what you are having done they are not a big deal. They freeze you to put it in and once it is in it is fine. You can even ask for a happy drug to deal with it.

My first one was pulled out by mistake or snapped when they were trying to move me from a bed to a stretcher to move me out of ICU....Not too smart. They had to put another one is real quick. Piece of cake....... Not too worry.

Hope you get everything sorted out with your health as well.

Lori.... :wink:
lashy

Post by lashy »

hope you get things sorted soon. it sounds like you he come through so much already so you will hopefully have the strength to get trough this
take care
emma x
Elaine

welcome

Post by Elaine »

Welcome lashy sory to hear you having a tough time at mo.

Hope your ops go ok etc for your central line etc treatments for cancer etc must be quite a shock for you.....Hope with all support etc from multi-disciplinary team members etc they can help etc. Specially cancer nurses etc tehy should be able to offer support and practical advise too etc.

Rach also had a 'temporary haemo line access for 18mnths in the end and a fistula too. Can be daunting initially but with support advise etc helped to alleviate soem of fears worries etc. There are many here too that had haemo lines/access and fistulas too.

best wishes Elaine , mum to & Rach-transplanted 17mnths ago :Dxx
alishe

Post by alishe »

Hi

thanks for all your comments, it;s not easy having two illnesses instead of just one. I am worried about the future, I'll let you know how I get on with my central line in after tomorrow. Got my MP3 player ready!!Dont know if you can listen to it when your being operated on thou! Well I'll find out tomorrow for sure.

lol

Sheila
alishe

Post by alishe »

Hi
I've had a Hickman line put in, did hurt but not that much, think its the unknown that makes you shake, and waiting two hours to go to xray for it does not help. Any way its done in the left, I always got to be different, got told its harded on the left than the right. I didn't bother with the mp3 player, just was trying to concentrate not falling off the operating table!
Anyway anybody want to know the gory details you know where to come.
Decided not to go back to work until tomorrow now. Next op in 2 weeks is the fistula..worry about that on the day.
Thanks for all the support.
Sheila
Elaine

Hickman line

Post by Elaine »

Hiya glad all went ok for your Hickman line insertion-least all done now.
Prob best that you take it easy for a few days anyhow can feel tender in area of insertion etc.

Really hope all goes ok for your fistula etc.

Best wishes Elaine & Rach :D