night sweats

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Mike

night sweats

Post by Mike »

Hi

I remember talking to rachel and steve about this in leeds and I suffered badly form it in the first few months post transplant. It's strange as I have started to get it really badly again :(

Sometimes I wake after maybe an hour asleep absolutely soaked then other times in the early hours.

Anyone else suffer from this post tx and any idea what is the cause????

My temperature is fine although often quite low around 35.8 to 36.1 in the morning. could this be something to do with it or could it just be as a result of sweating

any info would be great

Mike
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
king william

Post by king william »

Can't help you, but if you find the answer for gods sake let me know..;)
Mike

Post by Mike »

will do :) had it often on dialysis too!
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hi Mike

You have my utmost sympathy with this one!!! Immediately after my transplant, I had an awful time with night sweats, and still do to some extent, though not all the time now. I've always been led to believe it's the tacrolimus and pred which cause it but if you hear any differently I'd like to know too!!

Lots of love

Lorna
xxx
Hal

Post by Hal »

I get it too... and I am not far post transplant (3 months).

I am actually going to clinic tomorrow and was going to ask about it... as they have returned with a vengeance the last couple of nights.

I suspect it may be when my tacrolimus level is a bit higher - I think it may have gone too high again.

Will let you know what they tell me,

Hal
Elaine

sweats

Post by Elaine »

Hiya have discussed with Transplant Consultant and says prob more than likely body getting use to Tacrolimus -side effects etc. Initially post transplant on high doses but gradually will reduce dose etc and hopefully help.Can also make hands and feet sweat too and headaches. and jitters hard to keep still etc.

Hope your Dr can Help Hal etc and Mike too.

best wishes Elaine & Rach :D
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hey thanks for the replies :) not really any better last night but something else was mentioned to me about burning feet, I thought it was just me getting the burning sensations on the soles of my feet. Guess that is caused by the drugs too!

That I get really badly and that sensation on my face too! Can be very painful and extremely frustrating at times :(

Hmmm just the price we all pay for having a transplant I suppose but compared to life on dialysis it's all worth it.

mike
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hmm my tac level was 11 last time so it was reduced to 3mg/4mg but the symptoms got worse :( I'd be more inclined to believe than the burning sensation was a pred thing rather than tacro. My pred is 5mg and mmf (stopping in 5 days !!!!) just 250mg a day

I wonder as I have tended to be a little overloaded the last couple of weeks as stopped the furosemide it may just be my body trying to get rid of excess fluid ??? don't know if that is possible

anyway cheer keith

Mike
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
TJ

Post by TJ »

I wondered why my hubby who is almost 8 months post transplant has taken to going to bed as though it is the middle of summer (windows wide open when it's frosty outside!!!).I just thought he was strange, but now I'll have to stop shouting at him for making me go to bed with 50,000 layers on because I'm so cold. Poor bloke!!!
Julie

Post by Julie »

I have a constant battle in the house with the central heating thermostat since David has had his transplant.

It never used to be a problem when he was on dialysis because we were both always cold but since his transplant and the new meds he's now taking, he's clearly not cold any more because he keeps turning the temperature down so the heating goes off and the house gets cold, and I keep turning it back up again!!

Julie
X
TJ

Post by TJ »

Julie just think of all that money you'll be saving on the gas bill!!!!. That's the way I am looking at it, although I may end up being admitted to hospital with hypothermia if my hubby carries on the way he is going. I think I'm going to invest in some winter ski-wear, even though I have never been and don't intend on going sking!!. Seriously though, it is a tricky one but I can't imagine nightsweats would be pleasant so I'll grin and bear the artic conditions and console myself with the fact that he is well and doing great post transplant
Take care
TJ
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hello,

I asked my consultant - he said it wasn't expected with tacrolimus (which seems strange as lots of other had it) - he even sent me for a chest x ray to ensure I didn't have TB lol

I also have had the burning sensation in my feet and face - I had it terribly the other week when my level was through the roof due to interactions with antibiotics.

Cheers,

Hal
triggers better half

Post by triggers better half »

hi mike im on cyclosporin but suffer all the symptoms you have mentioned i take 5mg pred so maybe thats the common link
lashy

Post by lashy »

Hi
My boyfriend is 7 months post transplant. he is in hospital unfortunately as his temperature is up and down between 35 and 38.2. he has been having night sweats since transplant but now it is getting so bad hospital are having to change his bed clothes and pyjamas due to being saturated. I know its been discussed on here that this may be due to medication but still no answers. his creatinine went up to 196 yesterday the highest its been since transplant, the night before his transplant it was 994 so i know there is nothing too much to worry about there but if anyone has any ideas or solutions to temperature and night sweats it would be appreciated.
thanks Emma
MANCHESTER STEVE

Post by MANCHESTER STEVE »

I remember talking to Mike about this and it took probably 2 years plus for my night sweats to disappear. It did annoy me sometimes when talking to my consultant about it. And although I explained that being a single guy it was a cause for embarrassment when meeting new ladies he always came back with the old adage well at least your kidney function is ok. I do have a social life as well as a kidney life! and I’m not just a statistic
Live life. Love life. Donate to give life

www.kidney.org.uk/ypg