Question-Anyone hae strange skin reactiogns after Tx

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

RW

Question-Anyone hae strange skin reactiogns after Tx

Post by RW »

After Tx I have had some discoloration and splotchines (probably not a real word) and Derm has given me topical steroids. Not sure why but he did. And then he said there might be a slight posibility of LUPUS????? I was stunned, that sounded very strange to me; but he's the doctor. Anyone have any strange skin reactions after Tx? [/i]
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Not completly uncommon

Post by JMan »

yep,.. I have a little patch of discoloration on my skin and I know of others who have similar.. Post transplant you'll be having dermatology appts yearlly or so (or should be) anyway, so they'd spot any changes..
Basically the drugs and sunlight combo plays havoc with your skin.

Not sure about the 'LUPUS' link but mebbe the Derm just meant symptomatically it looked similar?
Last edited by JMan on Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Are dermatology appointments common place after transplant - it's never been mentioned to me. Only advise I've ever been given is to always use sunscreen. Luckily I don't seem to have had any reactions/problems with my skin, although I do seem to get a lot more spots post transplant!
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

In the UK a yearly dermatology checkup is becoming pretty much normal (and indeed some doctors say it should be part of all transplant followup regimes). Patients who are immune suprressed are at a higher risk of developing warts and skin cancers (both benign and malignant) esp after the first 3 to 5 years post transplant. It does vary somewhat depening on meds. And all units differ as to their protocols (the same can be said for bone checks etc) But if you have anything dodgy looking on your skin post transplant, my advice is to get it checked out sooner rather than later. Removal of anything suspicious is quick and pretty painless, done under local anestetic or just with dry ice.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
andrea

Post by andrea »

I had red blotchy patches on my thighs and calves after transplant that seemed to come and go.The dermatologists called it Liveido Reticularis (I think!) At one point they thought I had lupus and/or CREST syndrome based on my a raised ANA level in my blood results. If these patches get hardened lumps underneath or turn any darker please seek advice from the dermatologists as I have now been diagnosed with calciphylaxis. This is quite a rare disease affecting renal patients where calcium invades the blood vessel walls and other tissues which can cause nasty skin ulcers. There is no satisfactory treatment as far as I am aware so I have just had my life turned upside down and am shortly to go into hospital to try some experimental treatments.
RW

For Andrea From Essex

Post by RW »

Please forgive the late reply Andrea I have not had access to the internet for a while--- I also had small ulcers and hard shiny spots. It now comes and goes it is incredibly annoying and not one dermatologist has any idea what it could be. How has your trwatment be coming along- have the doctors made any progress? I hope they have --good luck!

Andrea wrote
>>I had red blotchy patches on my thighs and calves after transplant that seemed to come and go.The dermatologists called it Liveido Reticularis (I think!) At one point they thought I had lupus and/or CREST syndrome based on my a raised ANA level in my blood results. If these patches get hardened lumps underneath or turn any darker please seek advice from the dermatologists as I have now been diagnosed with calciphylaxis. This is quite a rare disease affecting renal patients where calcium invades the blood vessel walls and other tissues which can cause nasty skin ulcers. There is no satisfactory treatment as far as I am aware so I have just had my life turned upside down and am shortly to go into hospital to try some experimental treatments.
amanda in CA

Itching in absence of high phosporous

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, I seem to suffer from itching even when my phosphorous is controlled. It is worse in the evening, so I suppose could be due to phosphorous peak, not having dialysed since the night before. When I scratch, I tend to get what resembles goose bumps. When I look closely these appear slightly white under the skin. The itching which starts as very random, tends to localise to the bumps with the white in. If I get something and poke gently around, I get what resembles usually a tiny piece of skin from under the skin and the itching subsides. My dermatologist has mentioned Kerley's disease which is a skin condition in which parts of the dermis are pushed up through the epidermis, and occurs in kidney patients. Apparently, there are several similar skin condition of this nature. From his description, this is not what I have. Anyone any suggestions? thanks in advance for your help. Amanda