Home hemo

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

debbie

Home hemo

Post by debbie »

After many letters and endless conversations I have finally been told I can have a machine at home!!! The unit are going to train me to use the integra machine and I should be using it at home by September which is wonderul because after all these years I am actually going back to work full time from Sept (when children go back) At last I'll be able to dialyse to suit me and not the rest of them :D :D :D
Hal

Post by Hal »

Great news Debbie.

Will you still be doing 4 hours, 3 times a week ... or something different ?

Hal
debbie

home hemo

Post by debbie »

I believe it will be 3 days still but my consultant has pointed out before that I could do every other so that I don't have the longer stretch, he said that no-one would know when I was dialysing! At moment I do 3x3.5hrs, should do 4hrs, might increase it when I'm home.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Thats great news Debbie.

hope all gopes well for you. Let us know how you get on with it, will prb be so much more easier for u adn rest of family also.

Andy
Elaine

Hiya Debbie ;)

Post by Elaine »

Hiya Debbie gr8 news home haemo ;) :roll: :wink: :P :)

Let us know how things go 4 u good luck ;) Be nice 2 have time 4 uself ;)

best wishes Elaine ;) :roll:
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Great news debbie.. Have to say I told my doc if my kidney goes again home hemo is what I'd choose:)

Hope it works for you..
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
debbie

home hemo

Post by debbie »

Well, the schedule for training is all set. Got to dialyse tue/thu/sat and go in for training on mon/wed/fri for 4 hours a time. Aiming to have last session in unit on Aug 28th :D Now have to explain to daughter why we aren't doing much during school holidays, still I'm sure she'll be ok!
Sueleic

Post by Sueleic »

Hi Debbie
Great news about home haemo
So pleased for you its much better doing it when you want and not revolve around hospitals and all the rest of it
Take care
Sue
Xx
debbie

Scales

Post by debbie »

Scales.... one of the things I have got to provide myself is a set of scales. Can anyone recommend some really good ones please. Not fussed about them being digital but obviously need to be very accurate. Thanks :P
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Re scales see a post on 'another' board :D

:twisted:

Re daughter.. I'm sure she may cope with it better than you think.. there are LOADS of things you can do on dialysis together..

All the art/craft type activities for one, (yes I once painted a left handed watercolour on dialysis :D (and I'm right handed) and kids can generally be pretty helpful. I know my nephew was unphased by his uncle being on dialysis and he handles the sight of blood a LOT better than his dad (who has a tendancy to pass out:D). Lots of time spent explaining what all the bits of the machine do etc.

also spent lot of time listening to music, on laptop writing, emaiuls posts etc etc.. time just flies by if your occupied.. doesn't work on all days but generally not as bad as it sounds.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast