suggestion... how about introducing ourselves??

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

FreyasDad

suggestion... how about introducing ourselves??

Post by FreyasDad »

Hi all
I'm 49yo male, originally from Scotland but temporarily living in the US with work, I return home at Xmas.

My step-brother was been diagnosed with kidney disease last year and I have gone through the registration, testing and approval process to be a donor for him; this is scheduled to take place in Jan / Feb 22. Not wishing to say too much but my brother's condition is very stable and he doesn't require dialysis.

My reason for joining this forum is to ascertain the 'nuts and bolts' of life as a kidney donor; what changes do you need to make (if any) to your lifestyle; what can you eat, drink, any impact upon hobbies, general lifestyle, side effects - anything that people think might be relevant to know about as a prospective donor.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

FreyasDad
Thumps

Re: Donor tips

Post by Thumps »

Hi FreyasDad

I've split this out to another topic as I'm sure some folks will want to respond :)

My donor has been able to carry on life as normal since she donated to me 13 years ago, once the initial healing period was complete! No changes to diet or whatever, although she was already vegan and pretty healthy anyway!

The physically fitter you are, the better, before the operation, especially core strength, as obviously having a kidney removed is quite a big surgery and takes time to recover.

What a brilliant thing to be doing for your brother. I'm sure other folks will have input too!
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Skm

Re: suggestion... how about introducing ourselves??

Post by Skm »

Freyasdad,

I’m afraid I can’t give you any advice or hints, but as the recipient of a wonderful kidney, I can say you are a hero. I have heard a donated kidney described as “the gift of life”. It is a very generous and wonderful thing you are about to do. On behalf of recipients everywhere, thank you.

Sue

Ps I know donors do visit this site so I’m sure one will be along soon.
Transplant May 2015
tomjo

Re: suggestion... how about introducing ourselves??

Post by tomjo »

Hi Freyas dad
( i am not too good with IT - so hope i am replying in the right section ). I donated a kidney almost 2 years ago at the age of 69.
I recovered very quickly and had very little pain .
The surgeons and other health professionals were fantastic
I soon resumed all my usual activities and have led a normal life with no restrictions since the surgery.
The worst part of the whole process was anxiety over whether i would be found unsuitable whilst undergoing the many investigations and health checks to determine suitability.
I only wish that more people were aware of living donation and the fact that you need not be related to donate .
To be able to help someone rather than watch them suffer is very rewarding .I consider myself incredibly lucky to have been able to do so.
Good luck with your surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery .
ps - i took plenty of exercise, walked daily, and gave up alcohol ( by choice ) for 6 months prior to the op .I still exercise ( only tennis ) and resumed drinking alcohol post-op !