Afraid and confused

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

tracieann

Afraid and confused

Post by tracieann »

Hi I'm tracieann 57 type 2 diabetic never had major kidney issues before egfr always60/66 as long as I remember lockdown misbehaving 're diabetes and hba1c up to 51 but egfr March was 59 then in May was 55 a bit alarmed so started low keto diet in May had bloods June 10th egfr was 31 and creatinine up from 91 to 150 I am absolutely terrified as to what's happening Dr said retest egfr in two weeks can't sleep or eat properly from fear can anyone understand what's happened or been through a similar thing thank you
wagolynn

Re: Afraid and confused

Post by wagolynn »

Hi tracieann,
I hope you told the Dr you changed your diet, doing things like that makes diagnosis much more difficult it is much better to only make changes you have discussed with the doctor.

Generally speaking, in the UK diet will not make any significant difference to your kidneys, with the possible exception of sodium (salt), high blood pressure is never good for kidneys reducing salt intake can help to lower BP.
tracieann

Post by tracieann »

Hi Wagolynn thanks for the reply told Dr that I was doing keto she said it's good for diabetes and that means good for kidneys mind you she said she wasn't worried about a 24point drop in egfr in a month I just feel scared and very alone it's like my whole future depends on next egfr I have depression anyway but anxiety is now there too
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Try to look at this way, your life may take a change in direction but we are always open to the next surprise waiting around a corner, it is part of life.

eGFR is notorious for being prone to error, it neds several results trending in the same direction to have any real meaning.

Try not to worry, there is nothing you can do until you, and your doctor know there is a problem, then the next stage will be to try, and find out why.
tracieann

Post by tracieann »

Hi Wagolynn thanks for replying to the.post I saw a good GP today talked me through things he urine dip sample and said I had a UTI have me six tablets antibiotic Nitrofurentoin to take for 3 days I've looked them up and it's days take if egfr is 45 or over mine is 31 so I don't know how much more damage it can do he also sussed my blood pressure high at 135/90 wants bottom number at 80 he was pleased with my 9lb weight loss on keto going to take my home readings and he's going to have a look over a weeks worth of readings to see about hypertension I have my repeat on 23rd mins and I'm praying it's ok just have to get my terrible health anxiety under control has anyone on here taken nitrofurentoin thanks
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

If I remember right, Nitrofurantoin made me feel a bit sick but it cleared up the infection.
tracieann

Post by tracieann »

I've just been given 3_day short course Dr said fine to take with egfr of 31 drinking lots of water eating choosily and getting sleep now thank heaven's retest of egfr next week but still hoping and praying it's just a blip please God
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Good Luck.