CKD - a book you found helpful?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Genevieve189

CKD - a book you found helpful?

Post by Genevieve189 »

I'm 74 with high blood pressure, which is controlled with medication. Last year, my eGFR was 80, last week it was 58. So, I'm having further blood tests, urine test and, possibly, a scan as I have kidney stones. I understand that if CKD is confirmed, it will be my GP who will monitor me. As I understand I would need to start looking at diet and exercise, and my GP would, perhaps, not be so up to speed on something like that, could anyone recommend an informative, clear book which they found helpful, please? Not a recipe book as such, but something which explains what I would have to avoid in the future and what would be beneficial. Thanks in advance.
wagolynn

Re: CKD - a book you found helpful?

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Genvevieve189,
Assuming you are in the UK, the only dietary changes is to reduce your salt intake, you have probably done this to reduce your blood pressure, otherwise shifting toward the 5-a-day diet (five portions of fruit or veg each day look it up on the internet) will help your general health.

As far as your kidneys are concerned there is no other change required.

There are dietary changes required when on dialysis but these are to overcome the failings of dialysis, and you are a long way off that yet.

You will find good accurate information at https://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/ this is the home page for this website.

If this triggers off more questions, post them, and I am sure someone on the site will have the answer or suggestions.

Best wishes.
Genevieve189

Post by Genevieve189 »

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. So pleased to have found this website, which is extremely informative.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Genevieve189 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:19 am I'm 74 with high blood pressure, which is controlled with medication. Last year, my eGFR was 80, last week it was 58. So, I'm having further blood tests, urine test and, possibly, a scan as I have kidney stones. I understand that if CKD is confirmed, it will be my GP who will monitor me. As I understand I would need to start looking at diet and exercise, and my GP would, perhaps, not be so up to speed on something like that, could anyone recommend an informative, clear book which they found helpful, please? Not a recipe book as such, but something which explains what I would have to avoid in the future and what would be beneficial. Thanks in advance.
You really can't go wrong with Kidney Failure Explained
You can pick up a used edition for a few quid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/86864406?mkevt ... olid=10001
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Genevieve189

Post by Genevieve189 »

Thank you very much, that's really helpful. However, although my eGFR on my first blood test was 58, on my second one it had shot back up to 82! So, it may well be just a fluke. It will be interesting to see what my next blood test shows. However, my GP has also ordered an ultrasound, so I'm pleased that the kidney stones are going to be monitored. So, thank you again and I'll make a note of the book you recommended.