Scared

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

megs

Scared

Post by megs »

My gfr has fallen to 36 and just had cat scan with contrast ,dr said my gfr will fall further HELP
My bp is high and asked gp for more ramipril but she says it will make kidneys deteriorate ,so as a diabetic with heart disease am really scared also feel quite alone with this so how do you all cope please
JohnW99

Re: Scared

Post by JohnW99 »

Hi

Do you have anyone in the family with the same disease? I have a lot of family members with similar problems and seeing people who are managing on dialysis and people who have had transplants shows me there is still a future.
I hope you can find people to talk to, if not we can try to support you on here.

John (GFR 13 and falling)
megs

Post by megs »

My mum had same problem just before she died but no one else o my knowledge
Thanks for reply if gp sorts out bp meds I will be happier
Skm

Post by Skm »

Megs,

Sorry to hear your news. It’s always scary when we don’t know what’s going to happen and what to do about it. An gfr of 35 shouldn’t give you too many problems at present. The problem is that you don’t know at what rate it will fall. The best things you can do are to keep your blood pressure under control, exercise if you can, good diet (5 a day), reduce salt and if you have diabetes optimise control.

You are not alone. Many on here are living with similar problems. If we can help just let us know. I’ve always found this website supportive with others in the same situation.
Transplant May 2015
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Hi @megs

There's some excellent support on here, and from the main patient charities

https://www.kidneycareuk.org/get-support/

https://www.kidney.org.uk

You can try and manage your BP with diet (salt is a real factor) and general health. I know with diabetes its tricky, but it will make it better if your in as 'good health as possible' if your GFR does drop.

Keep safe

J
MaryAnderson

Post by MaryAnderson »

Hi, my grandmother had the same problem, she was scared and we tried to be with her as much time as possible, medication helped, but not for long at all, it's a tough time. Take care of yourself, strength and health to you :!: :!: :!: