Hi new on here - looking for guidance

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Samw

Hi new on here - looking for guidance

Post by Samw »

I’ve had stage 4 ckd for a number of years & ive been lucky enough that, after the first few drops, I stabilised at around 28. I was feeling unwell for a few weeks in October so requested a blood test to see if ‘physical’ cause rather than my mental health and was surprised & worried to find my kidney function had dropped to 21. I was referred by my GP back to our renal unit but they advised me that as it’s not urgent I wouldn’t be seen TIL at least January. By chance, I had another blood test this week as part of my annual diabetes review & was distressed to see its fallen again to 18 in just 2 weeks. If it continues at this rate I’ll be stage 5 by Christmas. However, I just can’t get hold of anyone to discuss this and my anxiety levels are through the roof! Any advice, suggestions, reassurances ..... would be gratefully received.
wagolynn

Re: Hi new on here - looking for guidance

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Samw,
Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried phoning the consultant's secretary to see if you can arrange for the consultant to phone you or you can outline your worries to her/him so the consultant has an idea of what you are worried about.

eGFR (the usual part of the blood results they use to asses kidney function) is an estimate of GFR, and is prone to errors.

However, I think you are OK yet, dialysis is usually considered at around 8 to 10 depending on how the patient is bearing up, so you have a bit of breathing space.
Enjoy Christmas within the Covid restrictions.

Best wishes.
Samw

Re: Hi new on here - looking for guidance

Post by Samw »

Thanks Wagolynn. Have a good Christmas too