Just joined - have a question please

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Maxine

Just joined - have a question please

Post by Maxine »

Hi - I have just joined the forum as I had a routine blood test because I am treated for high blood pressure ( have had high be for many years and it is nicely under control at 105/70) the blood test showed my kidney function was 66 whereas a year ago it was 82. I am having test done again in a week or two but I am frankly terrified as to what have caused such a decline and trying to understand what may have caused this! Can anyone help,please?
wagolynn

Re: Just joined - have a question please

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Maxine,
Welcome to this forum.

Kidney function is usually calculated, and is labelled as eGFR (the, 'e' stands for estimate. The full name is Glomerular Filter Rate ) this is notoriously inaccurate so relax and wait for the next test results.
An eGFR of 66 is OK you can live with that, and know there is anything wrong.

There are many possible causes of a drop in kidney function, many of which can be cured relatively easily with a course of appropriate medication.
Among these is high blood pressure.

So, try not to worry, and wait for the next set of results but do come back if the new results raises questions.
Your GP should be happy to answer any questions you have, and he has all the information about you, though it is difficult to think when hit with shocking news.

Best wishes.
Maxine

Post by Maxine »

Thank you for your reply. That’s really good to know and I am investigating all I can and reading about it so I can ask the right questions at my next appointment. Meanwhile I am trying to make a few lifestyle changes in the hope of better numbers next time. But thanks again for the info - especially the e= estimated bit .
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Maxine,
Remember to tell your GP about any changes you make, otherwise the GP may draw the wrong conclusions.

At this stage there is not much you can do, cutting any added salt out will help on the BP front, drinking more will help your kidneys (about 2 litre per day) otherwise there is not a lot you can do.

As regards general health, heading towards five portions of fruit or veg per day is good.

If you are researching on the internet, check the source of anything you find, there is a lot of crazy stuff out there.
A good place to start is the KPG home page https://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/contents.php