egfr reading

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

hansi

egfr reading

Post by hansi »

A recent blood test test showed my level to be 16, so not looking good.
Thumps

Re: egfr reading

Post by Thumps »

Sorry to hear that - how are you feeling? I was very tired and itchy by that point. Wishing you well. What happens now?
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi hansi,
How doe's that compare with your last results, and how long since your last test?
Dialysis is usually started arround 10% but it also depends on how the patient is getting on.
hansi

Post by hansi »

It was 25 in May so it's gone down considerably. I have an appointment witt Nephrology next week so should learn more then. Very tired all the time, other than that, I feel ok.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi hansi,
Feeling tired is common with a low eGFR or it could be a low blood count.

I find that with my blood count below 120 I am noticeably more tired than usual but having said that I am tired/fatigued all the time.

Best wishes.
hansi

Post by hansi »

I also self inject micera every month
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Oh yesy you mentioned you were going to previously, how did the injecting go?
Your blood count should be coming up, are you being checked?
hansi

Post by hansi »

It was a bit frightening the first time. The hardest part was assembling the syringe! I see my consultant on Thursday.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Best wishes.
hansi

Post by hansi »

Thanks. I will report on the result
hansi

Post by hansi »

Following my consultation yesterday, I was given details about possible dialysis and transplant options. Getting a bit scary now. Had a blood teest but won't know the results for a few days.
Skm

Post by Skm »

Hi Hansi,

I remember it was very scary. I also remember the nurses were fantastic.
There is also support available here. Many of us have been through the same thing and are still going strong.

Collect contact details for those nurses and ask any questions. No question is too trivial.

Best wishes
Sue
Transplant May 2015
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Hi Hansi

I joined this forum at that exact point - when things had dropped and they started talking to me about dialysis and transplant options. The people here were super helpful and reassuring. The nurses at my unit were also excellent.

Sue is right - they'll want to help. Good luck and do feel free to ask anything.

Thumps
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
hansi

Post by hansi »

Bit of good news for a change. My kidney nurse telephoned me today to say that that my blood results showed my potassium level had decreased to below 6 and my eGFR has crept up to 17.5. Made my day.