Coronavirus

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

AllenC

Re: Coronavirus

Post by AllenC »

It's the mixed messages that add to the confusion.
I read online that the "shielding" has been extended until the end of June, yet I've had no such message/letter/text from my GP or hospital.
Ten weeks of shielding done....
That said I don't expect things to return to normal anytime soon.
Thankfully I live in a very isolated Welsh village and can leave the house for a good walk over the mountain without contact with anyone.(yes I know, not strictly shielding by staying indoors)
For me, it's about using common sense and balancing the risks.

I can't imagine what it's like for those living in a busy city having to stay indoors all the time.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Zone 2 Central London here *wave* it's tough, I must say.

This confusing and sudden change is also going to make it even harder.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52862440 - shielding folks in England and Wales are now allowed out once a day to see a friend, apparently.

I was extremely angry when I read this this morning, not least because it's clear that this is a surprise to everyone, including clinicians. Why on earth they felt like changing policy at 11pm last night when nothing else otherwise seems to have changed I do NOT know.

I'm doing my own risk assessments and following my own guidelines at this point. F**k Hancock and Johnson and all the rest, frankly.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Millimurvie

Post by Millimurvie »

I completely agree......they are now making it up as they go along. I for one have no confidence about getting out and about....how about ‘following the science’???? Things can’t possibly have changed overnight. One wonders if Boris and co are more concerned with popularity then health.!
Skm

Post by Skm »

News from Kidney Care UK Today:
“ If you have been advised to shield and are in England and Wales you should receive a letter by June 15 about future plans for shielding. We are seeking confirmation that this is the same for Northern Ireland and Scotland.”

Baring in mind the fiasco in March when we were getting letters I’m not holding my breath. Still some guidance would be nice.
Transplant May 2015
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

Has anyone shielding ventured out at all? Frankly it's all starting to get to my family and I, they are shielding with me, today is our 90th day without going out at all, we have a 1 year old and a 3 year old and are all now struggling with the whole thing.

I'm sure there are many in the same boat on here but we feel forgotten and like life will never be anywhere near the same again, just to take my kids to the park would be a dream right now. Really need to see some light at the end right now.

Sorry for the mini rant.
Skm

Post by Skm »

Dean,

You have done so well. It must be so much more difficult with small children.

I have to admit I gave in weeks ago.
Working on the theory that there is less virus than there was and that virus is killed by uv light (in 8 minutes in Spanish sunlight), I have ventured to areas where And when I am less likely to see people - with strict hand washing on return. I am lucky we have a large area of common land near and can walk hardly seeing anyone. Anyone I see I give a huge gap (I think people think I’m mad as I plunge into bushes!). I don’t go out on weekends as it’s busier. I did go to a deserted spot for a picnic. I’m certainly person phobic.

Apart from this I continue to shield. My lovely husband is doing it with me.

We each have to decided what works for us and what risks we are willing to take. It is so much more difficult for you with the children. My heart goes out to you and your family. It’s not as if you can all go out for a walk at 5am.

Hang in there. This too will pass, although it maybe a while before we can give each other a hug. You are doing so well so far.

Keep Safe
Sue
Transplant May 2015
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I went to the beach yesterday. Herne Bay - almost completely deserted. Drove with one member of my family who I've been shielding with and met one person there. We had ice cream - I used a glove to hold the tub and used a spoon I'd brought with me to eat it, then anti-bac'd afterwards. The public toilets were mercifully open so I did use those, wearing a mask and being super careful about what I touched. I didn't wear a mask while in the open air.

The slight anxiety when I met other people was overwhelmed by how good it was to get out and spend a whole day outside and see other 3D humans and do something kinda normal. I recommend it <3

Mostly I'm still inside though, maybe one or two walks a week at dawn/after dark, and one socially distanced meet up so far.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
morzov

Post by morzov »

Agree with Sue and Thumps.

In my view you just have to deal with the situation that is in front of you and make your own assessment of the risk involved. In my case I've always kept fit before and after my transplant which I think has helped massively . I took the view early on that if I lost that fitness, at my age I probably wouldn't get it back.

I have actually been going out since the lockdown started, a couple of times a week very early and/or somewhere where there is very high probability there won't be any or very few others. I always take gloves, sanitiser etc.

So far it has worked out but frankly it was easier during the lockdown because there were fewer people about.

Dean - it must be very difficult for you and I sympathise with your situation. It's not ideal but maybe you and your wife could go out separately applying the principles others have of quiet times/remote places?

Coincidentally I was watching Prime Minister's Question time earlier and the Labour MP for Lewisham (Vicky Foxcroft) asked Johnson a number of direct questions about proposals for those shielding and whether the Govt would instigate an hour a day safe time for those shielding to go out.

Unsurprisingly he didn't directly answer but said proposals would be forthcoming. Make of that what you may!
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

morzov wrote:I have actually been going out since the lockdown started, a couple of times a week very early and/or somewhere where there is very high probability there won't be any or very few others. I always take gloves, sanitiser etc.

So far it has worked out but frankly it was easier during the lockdown because there were fewer people about.
Oh my god, ain't that the truth!
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Quote from an old record my mother had, The Vicar of Mirth, "We are all on this earth to help others, what on earth the others are here for I do not know".
To be spoken as a speech from the pulpit.
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

So how is everyone feeling following the update (finally) today? I'm in two minds, big part of me is happy to finally have a date in sight, the other bigger part is worried sick that's it's too soon and wonder how I am meant to get to work (my one option is the district line underground for 50 mins) bad once at work 30 % of my role is meeting with people, carrying out dse assessments, general office management take, currently working from home as are most from my work but wonder what the start of Aug will bring.

I also know of two people with different conditions who have today and Friday been contacted by the NHS advising them to shield until end of aug.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

If you can work from home I would you continue to do so, I would have thought that for face to face contact, use 2mtr rule, and both parties masked.
The effectiveness of masks is doubtful but with both parties masked I would say they are better than nothing.

Everyone on public transport should be masked but there will always be one - I must admit I would not like to use public transport.
Skm

Post by Skm »

I got an update letter today!!
I have to admit to being amazed. It contains the same information that was released yesterday.
They talk about a “pause” in shielding and admit it may need to be reintroduced if cases go up. They also stress that their advice is advisory and we need to do what we are comfortable with - apart from going back to work. They want us to go. From August no food parcels and employers to make work environment safe (!!!!). It reminds us we are still extremely vulnerable and that social distancing (doesn’t say if 1 or 2 metres) and hand washing need to be strictly applied.

Not sure it will help Dean much with his journey to work.

Sue
Transplant May 2015
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Wow - that's... surprisingly efficient! When did you get the first letter? I didn't get mine til the first week of May :lol: :lol:
Millimurvie

Post by Millimurvie »

Likewise, i didn’t get a letter from the government at the beginning, a letter from the hospital in April and a text from the Gov. in early May and my letter fro Matt came on Tuesday! I am so glad I don’t work any more and my heart goes out to those that do, such difficult times .