Coronavirus

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

DeanH

Re: Coronavirus

Post by DeanH »

A new concern I now have to add to my uncertainty, I have a 3 year old and 1 year old, just had a call from the pre-school for the 3 year old who are making plans to reopen possibly in June, I really dont want him to miss out before he starts going more often in September but unsure what to do as its impossible for me to distance myself at home from a toddler!
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi DeanH,
Try your consultant (on the phone) and ask for advice.
Have you tried calling your GP, to see what they can tell you?

A layman's thought is, perhaps a delay in starting school is the best option - until there is a vaccine.

Best wishes
Millimurvie

Post by Millimurvie »

That is such great news!
Millimurvie

Post by Millimurvie »

The great news was re the recovering man.......sorry
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I got a second NHS letter and a text but both still say shield til 30 June. Are you sure about that extension? Can't find any confirmation about that anywhere.

Great news about your friend, Chris.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Millimurvie

Post by Millimurvie »

My mistake, extension 30/6, must learn to read properly and not jump to conclusions. Sorry if I have caused alarm. :(
morzov

Post by morzov »

This looks a very good idea. Mobile renal phlebotomy service from Kings College Hospital.

More units should do it

https://twitter.com/KateBramham/status/ ... 1428293632
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

So how is everyone feeling about both the lack of news and the now depressing reality that we seemingly not only don't matter but that there seems to be no plan as well as no end in sight for our sheiding?
grinninglinux

Post by grinninglinux »

Well "SAFE" at least for now, and no, your right, no plan as yet for the Shielding group, straight from the mouth of Boris himself "keep shielding" . This evenings corona virus update did not fill me with any hope what so ever. Anyone else have any thoughts.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I have a feeling they're just going to end the shielding on 30 June and leave us to manage our own risk. Seems about right for this government.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Millimurvie

Post by Millimurvie »

Think every one is spot on......don’t think they know what to do with us. It’s probably too soon for any accurate data regarding infection rate and easing the lock down.....it’s going to take a long time before anything is really known, it’s all hypothetical at the moment. Feels like this government is loosing control of the situation and the easing is just snow balling. I really don’t feel at all confident.
Skm

Post by Skm »

Not sure what anyone can do. Until we get a vaccine or a cure we are a bit stuck.
As already said there are so many unanswered questions.
A second wave seems inevitable as everyone goes mad meeting up and going out. I had predicted in the autumn but seeing those scenes on TV it may be sooner.

I think that at the end of June we will be left to make our own decisions . I can’t see what else can be done. . I guess to some extent that’s what I’m doing now. I do go out for walks choosing my time and place carefully when there are fewer people.
Personally I’ve already prepared myself for a very quiet Christmas. Children spending it with in-laws. My son is a nurse and describes himself as a walking Corona virus risk as far as I’m concerned. I just want to hug my children. (I’m a very huggy person).

The real difficulty is watching people getting back to normal while we can’t. People forget about us. I’ve already had criticism from friends for not wanting to meet up.
Still I’ve a lot to be thankful for. I know I am not alone, you lot are in it with me too! 8)

Keep safe. Keep sane.
Sue
Transplant May 2015
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Yep we are in for the long haul all we can do is hope they manage to produce a vaccine.

Best wishes everyone, and chin-up (as they say), there has to be an end - one day.
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

Come what may I'll be exposed to it should it still be around in September when my little one starts full time at pre school, which will certainly makes things hard to say the least!
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I'm relying on them coming up with effective treatments,tbh. A vaccine may not be possible for a long time, if ever, but treatments hopefully should be!