Coronavirus

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Millimurvie

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Millimurvie »

SHOOTS ......it’s me shouting !
jooles

Post by jooles »

....change the vowels and it would be me shouting!!
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Wow what a thread, haven't logged in for a while.
Been instructed to self isolate with my partner from March 13th. And did get a letter from my home heamo team,
Food parcels coming in, stuff we don't need we give back to the food bank so nothing wasted, and so the circle goes round.

Been attaching the garden like mad! :D Gonna be a colourful tasty year if we get through this! :)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I was meant to go in for regular bloods today - got a garbled voicemail last night telling me not to come! Rearranged for September - 7 months between check ups :? I'm a bit uncomfortable about it but not as uncomfortable as I am with going into the hospital right now, I guess x
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

Similar to me Thumps, was due to go this week but had two letters saying to go for a blood test in aug followed by a phone consultation 2 days later, not sure how I feel about going into central London for a blood test especially when it could surely be carried out nearer to me in Essex. My last appointment was in Feb so again a long time between them.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Skm wrote:Wagolyn, I beg to differ about the alcohol hand rub (non alcohol hand sanitiser is ineffective) but fully agree about hand washing and calling 111.

I am curious about how great our risks are, being immunosuppressed or on dialysis, if we catch it. There is nothing we can particularly do.

A search of the internet reveals one 51 year old man with a 12 year transplant who survived. He had his immunosuppressive treatment stoped and required intensive treatment. His medication was restarted after 5 days. His kidney had no ill effects.

Anyway I will keep washing my hands.
A gent in my road, transplanted about 18 months ago and i guess , in his seventies, has just had Covid.

He was taken to hospital for checks a couple of times, but now i hear he has the all clear, although it has left him very weak.

So that has to be good news!

C
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Yes, that sounds amazing.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Thumps, Dean,

I had to have a blood test done for my GP last week.

I asked them to do all my renal ones as well.

The Sister delivered the forms to the phlebotomist. And when i went in i waited about 2 mins, all masked up, and got them all done.

The GP surgery then e-mailed me the renal results for me to e-mail on to my unit.

I know i am unbelievably lucky in having an exceptional GP service (once you learn to work the system), but it must be possible to get your GP to help.

In fact you should insist. Remember there are about 35,000 GPs' and about the same number of TX patients. (i might be a bit wrong, but the order of magnitude is right).

You have every right to use every trick in the book to get them to work for you!

C
Transplanted Sept 1981

DeanH

Post by DeanH »

That sounds great Chris, unfortunately my GP doesn't have any phlebotomy service at all, they send all blood testing to the local hospital,which is also one of the largest in Essex. I think my choice will be either there or a trip into London to Guys unfortunately.
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

Also has anyone received a second letter about staying home for 12 weeks? I haven't but hearing that quite a few people are.
Skm

Post by Skm »

The second letter is a copy of the first letter but from a different sender. One is from your GP and the other either from your hospital or NHS England. It’s due to the mess they made in sending out the original letters. A bit of a catch up to make sure everyone received a letter. As a result some people got two. As the letter is probably undated it looks as if it is a new start for the 12 weeks. It isn’t. Current advice runs until end of June - after which who knows. :?
Transplant May 2015
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I never got the first one and only got one from my GP after calling them to ask why I hadn't had one... though curiously I seem to be on the Free Food Parcel list and get one every week which I then send to a food bank because I don't need it! :?

So very disorganised.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Millimurvie

Post by Millimurvie »

Just had a text from nhs coronavirus......basically extending shielding until 30/7 and telling me that the nhs is still there for me but possibly by phone or video link. Is anyone else beginning to twitch about not having a blood test. My clinic appointment for 15/4 postponed until July, I am really well and no apparent problems. Just makes me really appreciate those 12 week clinic reviews. No real reason to suspect things aren’t anything else than good, just a bit anxious.
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

Not heard that it's been extended but it makes sense, I'm fairly ok with my appointment being changed but my last blood test was Feb and my next is now in sept which is a huge wait
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Interestingly, i got the second letter but not the text.

Also, that gent up the road i mentioned before is now up and walking about. He says he gets tired easily but the Drs expect him to make a full recovery. Nice to have some good news!!!

C
Last edited by Chris Wright on Sun May 17, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Transplanted Sept 1981